CV Boot ??? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

CV Boot ???

This is a discussion on CV Boot ??? within the How-To's forums, part of the How-To's & Product Reviews category; I have to replace a torn boot and was wondering if you can use the same Boot all the way
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum > How-To's & Product Reviews > How-To's

How-To's Database of technical articles to assist those do-it-yourselfers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Default CV Boot ???

I have to replace a torn boot and was wondering if you can use the same Boot all the way around the Rhino. I know yamaha recomends using theirs but I have found some that are a lot less expensive. While I was buying one I wanted to get a spare to carry with me when we go off on weekend long rides. A universal boot would be a big Plus for this. Any suggestions on this let me know. And if you know of a good place to purchase boots and wheel bearings let me know. Thanks
Hunt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
ljb
Wide F'n Open

you don't mention the year of your rhino.
the outer CV boots are the same for years 05-07, and they made a change on the outer's for 08/09. I'm not sure about the 04's......
The inner's are a little smaller then the outer's for all years.
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
ljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

It is an 07 model 450.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
ljb
Wide F'n Open

wow, threw me a curve ball -
I'm not sure if the 450's use the same as the 660/700's or not...
maybe someone else can jump in here and help.
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

a good thing to pack for a trail spare is duct tape. if you get a rip just wind duct tape all around it. just have someone give it some gas and follow behind till it is all wrapped up. i've rode mine twice like this before until i got my replacement.
slider_buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider_buck View Post
a good thing to pack for a trail spare is duct tape. if you get a rip just wind duct tape all around it. just have someone give it some gas and follow behind till it is all wrapped up. i've rode mine twice like this before until i got my replacement.
Hmm imagine that duct tape fixes everything lol. Great idea though. I would think a universal CV boot would work since it is called a "universal" boot.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
ljb
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Hmm imagine that duct tape fixes everything lol. Great idea though. I would think a universal CV boot would work since it is called a "universal" boot.
good luck with that.
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

LOL, yeah just realized that universal doesn't really mean such. Kind of hard to get a universal CV boot to fit a CV joint on a Full size truck compared to an ATV. Slight size difference there LOL.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

I found exactly what I needed and recommend them to everyone. It's called the FAST BOOT. It fits inner and outer all the way around any of the rhinos. Same Boot will work On Honda and just about any other fourwheel drive atv/Utv. It has two sizes on the big end so you can cut the larger end off to fit on smaller CVs which is what I had to do on mine this morning. ANOTHER BONUS!!!! This boot is so pliable that it will slide right over CV without having to remove it from the axle. I didn't use that method because my boot had been torn for a while and want to clean out the CV first.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

Thanks for the info, when I can afford to get my Rhino, I'll pickup a couple to keep on hand just in case. I don't do any extreme driving but its always nice to have extra parts on hand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement