First Oil Change - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

First Oil Change

This is a discussion on First Oil Change within the How-To's forums, part of the How-To's & Product Reviews category; Okay, our Rhino is still pretty new. (probably about 20 hours on it). So anyway, the manual says after engine
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum > How-To's & Product Reviews > How-To's

How-To's Database of technical articles to assist those do-it-yourselfers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
1/2 Throttle

Default First Oil Change

Okay, our Rhino is still pretty new. (probably about 20 hours on it). So anyway, the manual says after engine break-in it's time for first oil change. So I took out the seats and console like the manual said. Removed the dip stick and proceeded to remove the oil drain plug (I hope that's what I took out). An extra spring with a screen also fell into the oil drain pan. This wasn't mentioned in the manual. Now, I have two choices on how to replace it. I don't want to put it in upside down. So I am asking the experts here for directions that are not in the manual. I have provided two pictures to help explain my question. So do I put the spring end in first, or the screen end? Thanks in advance for helping me out. (My next job is cleaning the air filter. )
Pic A
Pic B
Grandma Goes Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

To tell you the truth, I had the same experience with my Yamaha Grizzly 450 ATV last year, and I didn't bother putting the screen or the spring back into the pan. ATV ran just fine without it. Don't know what its for but apparently its not needed.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founding Ninja

according to the manual, there is no spring or screen on the drain plug,

just a washer and a bolt.

the only screen I can think of in the rhino motor is on the oil pump.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
07fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj View Post

the only screen I can think of in the rhino motor is on the oil pump.
Are you suggesting this must of fallen off the oil pump during riding or worse yet it came from the factory like that? It didn't make sense to have a screen at the drain plug.

Oh, by the way, where do you add oil? With a funnel through the dipstick opening?!
Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
To tell you the truth, I had the same experience with my Yamaha Grizzly 450 ATV last year, and I didn't bother putting the screen or the spring back into the pan. ATV ran just fine without it. Don't know what its for but apparently its not needed.
I looked all over google and found no answers. So, I finally called the Yamaha shop and explained to the tech what was going on. He asked if I had a 450 in which I responded, yes.

He told me this was normal. If I looked up into the drain hole, I would see a little pipe, this is where the white plastic ring of the screen seats itself and the spring end fits into the drain cap. And my second question was yes oil is added at the dipstick opening.

-Case closed...Problem solved.

Sorry to bother you all...should've called the shop in the first place. (I just hate to bother them because they are usually pretty busy.)

Bye, Grandma
Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founding Ninja

sorry, I did not pay attention that you had a 450.

yes fill through the dipstick hole

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
07fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

So still no answer on what the hell that spring and screen is really for other than to confuse people. Like my grizzly 450 I never put the screen or spring back in and it ran just fine without it.
wildbill23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement