Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

2010 Radiator Upgrade Thoughts

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Unleashed UTV 
#1 ·
So I ordered everything from Kawasaki for the upgrade to see what the differences are. I get 15% above cost (supposidly) and the complete kit with hoses pipes thermostat housing radiator and radiator fan was $535.00 and some change. So Muzzy's price they have posted is a good one. However I am not so sure all this money is absolutely nessesary to spend now that I have it all in my hands. The radiators are the same size with the same number of rows in the core. There are 2 differences, the size of the hose spickets and there is no bung to screw the temp sensor in the 2010 radiator. There is a slight difference in the tubes in the core they flare out more where they come through the header to the tank but I am not sure that gets more effenciency. The key thing to me is Kawasaki does not change the water pump cover or the size of the spicket going into the water pump cover, so the larger hoses run into a restriction at the water pump housing. The biggest difference I see is the fan itself. It is almost double the size of the 2008 fan covering the whole core of the radiator. The 2008 fan is much smaller and the schroud is close which causes a back up of air flowing through the complete core of the radiator. I have not tested yet, but I believe the the fan alone along with a good water pump upgrade would make the difference to keep big bore motors running cool.My 820 motor doesn't overheat with the waterpump upgrade but does still run up into the 215 range on long wide open runs. Here are some pictures to study. I will try to get some testing done with in the next couple of weeks to see if I can back up my thoughts here.

The 2 radiators in comparison

The fan difference

Sorry forgot the schroud on the 08 but you get the idea

The hose spicket size difference

These pics are a little blurry but this is the difference in the tubes where they come through the header.

I will try to get some better close up pics of the tubes in the core tomorrow.

See less See more
#3 ·
I did a PWR in the race care and wasn't impressed plus this is considerably less exspensive. I really believe its a air flow issue over the radiator core. When we put the PWR in the race car it made little if not no difference in the cooling issues. Funco was running a radiator the size of a small block chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.