yamaha rhino 660 compression - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

yamaha rhino 660 compression

This is a discussion on yamaha rhino 660 compression within the Yamaha Rhino General Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; So recently I thought since its winter might as well put a new piston and rings in my rhino considering
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum > The Garage > Yamaha Rhino General Discussions

Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Default yamaha rhino 660 compression

So recently I thought since its winter might as well put a new piston and rings in my rhino considering I have never rebuilt the top end and i have had the rhino for 4 years! So i did a compression check before i tore it all down and the compression was 110psi! From what the shop manual says that's pretty low. So I replaced the stock 9:1 piston with a JE ll:1 piston kit, cleaned everything up and put her back together and readjusted the valves. I ran it light for about 20 minutes and took a compression reading and it says 140psi! This is still low if you go by the shop manual. Im thinking this could be a typo in the manual considering the cylinder was checked and it had barely any wear and the valves are adjusted correctly. Just curious if anyone knows the correct compression it is suppose to have? Thanks
devgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by devgru View Post
So recently I thought since its winter might as well put a new piston and rings in my rhino considering I have never rebuilt the top end and i have had the rhino for 4 years! So i did a compression check before i tore it all down and the compression was 110psi! From what the shop manual says that's pretty low. So I replaced the stock 9:1 piston with a JE ll:1 piston kit, cleaned everything up and put her back together and readjusted the valves. I ran it light for about 20 minutes and took a compression reading and it says 140psi! This is still low if you go by the shop manual. Im thinking this could be a typo in the manual considering the cylinder was checked and it had barely any wear and the valves are adjusted correctly. Just curious if anyone knows the correct compression it is suppose to have? Thanks
The compression realease on the cam is probably giving you a funny reading also...Im sure you were due to freshen it up

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
BiggJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Thanks alot
devgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement