Rhino 450 Slow get up and top speed ! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Rhino 450 Slow get up and top speed !

Hey all, long time lurker here and have run into some issues with a Rhino 450 I just picked up. Some background, so I purchased this Rhino for my oldest daughter to ride , it has a rebuilt motor in it that was done by a reputable Yamaha shop here in town with all the receipts to show for it. Runs great, but it had a bad wet clutch when I purchased it. Not a big deal right and because it was limping along I got a killer deal on it. Anyways I went through an dropped in a new wet clutch, one way bearing, clutch comp housing, new oil seals, UTV machined sleave and 12gram greaseless weights, and a 1mm shim. Also when I tore it apart I pulled the secondary and added a blue EPI spring. After all that I topped it with a brand new OEM belt from my yamaha dealer. Along with all that I replaced the wheel bearings on all four corners and changed the oil and filter. It has 14" rims with 27in mongrels on it, before I took it for a spin I left the cover off and checked how the belt was riding, it was slightly high on the secondary and when revved ran all the way up to the primary. Now when I am driving it is a lug, it takes alot of gas to get going and tops out at 24-26 mph going slightly down hill. Even going up a slight incline it was bogging down to around 15-18 mph and having a hard time in High gear. This hill was a concrete road in my neighborhood which is maybe 10 degree incline. So after farting around with it for a while I removed the sheave and put the stock sheave back in with no shim, same thing. The performance did not change a bit. I am officially at a loss, I am hoping someone out there can chime in and give me some ideas !! Also note that after I changed the bearings it rolls decent in neutral with me pushing it. Please HELP !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:46 AM
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joster View Post
Hey all, long time lurker here and have run into some issues with a Rhino 450 I just picked up. Some background, so I purchased this Rhino for my oldest daughter to ride , it has a rebuilt motor in it that was done by a reputable Yamaha shop here in town with all the receipts to show for it. Runs great, but it had a bad wet clutch when I purchased it. Not a big deal right and because it was limping along I got a killer deal on it. Anyways I went through an dropped in a new wet clutch, one way bearing, clutch comp housing, new oil seals, UTV machined sleave and 12gram greaseless weights, and a 1mm shim. Also when I tore it apart I pulled the secondary and added a blue EPI spring. After all that I topped it with a brand new OEM belt from my yamaha dealer. Along with all that I replaced the wheel bearings on all four corners and changed the oil and filter. It has 14" rims with 27in mongrels on it, before I took it for a spin I left the cover off and checked how the belt was riding, it was slightly high on the secondary and when revved ran all the way up to the primary. Now when I am driving it is a lug, it takes alot of gas to get going and tops out at 24-26 mph going slightly down hill. Even going up a slight incline it was bogging down to around 15-18 mph and having a hard time in High gear. This hill was a concrete road in my neighborhood which is maybe 10 degree incline. So after farting around with it for a while I removed the sheave and put the stock sheave back in with no shim, same thing. The performance did not change a bit. I am officially at a loss, I am hoping someone out there can chime in and give me some ideas !! Also note that after I changed the bearings it rolls decent in neutral with me pushing it. Please HELP !
When you get a chance come over to the other Rhino site within our forums family Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net , register, then post this. It is the most active Rhino site on the web and has many knowledgable peeps to help with questions such as yours! Thanx, Lance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement