Carb Jetting Trouble on Newly Built Engine - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Carb Jetting Trouble on Newly Built Engine

This is a discussion on Carb Jetting Trouble on Newly Built Engine within the Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; Hello to all , I've just built my first 660 engine(Becuase the middle drive gear support broke and destoyed my
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum > The Garage > Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions

Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Default Carb Jetting Trouble on Newly Built Engine

Hello to all , I've just built my first 660 engine(Becuase the middle drive gear support broke and destoyed my gears and case, luckily I'm a welder/fabricator and managed to weld the broken case myself and save the 800$$$ for new ones) and I can't seem to get it tuned right. It's an 06 660 , I put a +4mm stroker crank , 11:1 wiseco piston , Mudbuster cam ,Stock head w/raptor center intake valvespring ,Weller Racing billet middle drive gear support , Weller racing cam pins , Weller head and jug studs , purple spring , 14g weights , Looney Tuned duals, S and B cold air intake , Procom cdi , and Epi severe duty belt. I live and ride in florida at sea level . We mostly trail ride and mud occasionally. I can't seem to figure out the proper jetting on my carb, I've swapped the washers on the needle ,adjusted the A/F screw 2 turns out as a starting point, tryed different jets from 150 to 175 and nothing seems to help the performance. It has no power like it should and falls on its face anything above idle . I am getting so frustrated because of the time and money invested and no positive results. Does anyone have any suggestions or possible causes that it could be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Jason

Last edited by RHINO ON ROIDS; 06-14-2010 at 09:30 PM.
RHINO ON ROIDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founding Ninja

check the intake boot for cracks.

check the upper diaphram in the carb for a hole or tear. ( if stock carb)

did you one up size the pilot jet or just mess with the main jets?? about 160-170 should be plenty.

try it without the filter system on.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
07fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Thanks for the quick response Rog , I will try taking off the filter system first thing in the morning , I will also check the boots for leaks with starting fluid to see if it changes tune . I am still running stock pilot jet , do you think it should be changed , if so what size approx. I will keep this post updated as changes take place and hopefully it can be fixed , I just hope the combination of parts that I installed in my engine will work properly with each other and make good reliable power. As of right now my other rhino that has a stock motor with just bolt ons has way more power. Thanks again Rog
Old 06-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

well hopefully everything inside the motor is ok...

u can try a 50 pilot. a/f screw 1.75 to 2.0 turns out see how it does when u punch it ...

170 main minimum i would think ,.

and if u can get a innovate wide band a/f gauge set up , its helps tons

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

http://www.unleashedutv.com/

http://traillogicllc.com/
Benzito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wide F'n Open

Timing curve in that PROCON isn't going to help
poflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Thanks so much for the quick responses and the helpful info Rog and Benzito , I pulled the brand new S & B cold air intake off at the carb and it runs way better without it. Apparently their intake does not flow enough air to satisfy the demands of a mildly built engine. My other rhino has the AFE stage 2 intake , way better IMHO. Now that the air starvation problem is resolved , it still seems that it is running lean according to the plug . It almost looks brand new still after I pull it out and check it. Should the plugs look that clean or should they have a light brown tint on the porcelin? Thanks again guys for all the info , I might be able to sleep tonight...lol
Old 06-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Yes i agree poflo , It's getting replaced with a Dynatek, I'm going to take the dynatech out of my other rhino and try it to see if theres a difference. Thanks for the suggestions,keep em coming. Jason
Old 06-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founding Ninja

if it is lean on top, it will most likely start to pop. also now make sure you have all fresh gas in it. may sound silly, but it makes a diff, if gas is old or not.

I would go one up on the low jet. I liek to see a tan color, but you may not see this on a competely new plug.

I prefer also the k&N 63-1119 kit for max flow

also the dyna progammable is better that the regular, even though I have not had any issues with my regular Dyna at 9000 rpms.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
07fj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

Thanks again Rog , I just took the S & B intake off, put the stock airbox back on it with a fresh clean K & N filter (stock replacement that fits in the stock box) and took it for a ride it runs good in the bottom but seems to flaten out in the mid and top . The plug still looks lean after a wide open run and kill the motor wide open to check it. The biggest jet i have is a 175 so i found a drill bit that is just a hair bigger and drilled out a stock jet to just a little bigger than the 175. I still don't think its running rich enough IMO. The fuel is fresh 93 octane pump gas with 2 gallons of race fuel mixed with it , new fuel filter. I just don't won't to run it to lean and burn it up. I will snap a pic of the plug and post it asap. Thanks , Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement