Rhino problems - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum

Rhino problems

This is a discussion on Rhino problems within the Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions forums, part of the The Garage category; ok guys i need some input! i have two rhino's 2005 and a 06 both have utvinc sheave stock weights
Go Back   Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum > The Garage > Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions

Yamaha Rhino Performance Discussions Yamaha Rhino performance discussions.
Engine mods, CDI boxes, exhausts, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

Garage
Default Rhino problems

ok guys i need some input!

i have two rhino's

2005 and a 06

both have utvinc sheave stock weights the 05 has a blue 2ndary spring
the 05 had a black rhino cdi stock tires
the 05 has the msd cdi with also stock tires..
we have been running these for a year now and no issues last year

it all started over the winter when we went riding in 18" of snow..
when you hold them wide open weather loaded or on the black top you will get to like 40+ and it will start to die and pop out of the exhaust.. sometimes you can pull the choke and it brings it back other times it makes it die faster..
The 05 i started changing jets i currently have went from a 145 main to a 150 and put a washer under the needle..and we went riding if u keep it under 30 mph it will run all day with no problems..
So we came home and i checked the valves on the 06 some were tight but not tight enough to make a problem.. The plug was a bit on the dark side.. So we pulled the carb and i wanted to go the other way with this one just to experiment, So i went from a 145 to a 140 and we took it for a ride...a little sluggish off idle under a load but seemed to work ok mid range.. topend we toped out at 51mph (last summer we could hit 55) these are readings off the factory dash..But it did not sure off.. I putted the plug and the center was pretty white so i put a washer under the needle on it and ran it again.. popped once threw the exhaust but never shut off and from 51-0mph it was smooth no problems.. the plug is just starting to color but the threads are still black..I am not sure if we are going the right way.. I guess what i do not understand is that they ran great all last summer! no issues.. How can i have two rhinos that will act the same.. Is this a sign of the full pump no being able to keep up at the Higher then stock rpms? i am having trouble believing we have jetting issues.. I understand that todays fuel is crap but there can not be that big of a differences in the fuel!

I am looking for suggestions? I am a power sports tech for the past 10 years . but i have been so busy at work, i have not had time to really piss with them..

Also anybody know what gram weights i could put in the 05 to gain more bottom end ti mid power
and also with the 06 it has the 4 seater cage and seats.. looking to change the weights also
bender.chris5908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

Garage

did a little testing today..

all with the 05 rhino

test ran with the following changes
136 main washer under needle no change with and without the washer under needle
had a 150 main and a washer under needle and no washer no change
took the full windshield of no change
took after market cdi box off did no do it as fast on the flat trail but would take a little longer to do u on a slight uphill
put cdi back on... Ran across a flat trail and slight downhill.. let off throttle around 58 (on dash) and had to stop before i ran out of real a state.. motor would die.. and would be a hard to start.. sometimes choke would bring it alive.. i turned around and would mash the gas and about 100yards in is the up hill and it go's level.. it would start backfiring threw the pipe and loose power at 38 mph just as i crest the hill..and it will start backfiring and shut off if i keep my foot in it.. seems if i pump the throttle it sometimes start going..If i get a little head start for the hill it will crest it fine but half way down the flats it will act up some times..

Any thoughts?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

If your jetting "suddenly" seems to need adjustment after running fine for sometime, you probably have a fuel delivery problem. Change your filter and fuel pump, especially if the pump is a few years old.
TEST: with engine cover removed and fuel line clamp loose at carb, run down a street at WOT until it dies. Immediately full the fuel line and see if its dry or just dribbling a small amount fuel.
lpmold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

Garage

thanks! as soon as i get a chance i will try these.. also i made a call to yamaha's dealer tech line today.. they gave me some other good ideas..

some things they have seen in the past

pickup line in the tank sucking fast to the bottom of the tank..
also insulation break down at high rpms, on the stator

these things i will check out soon!
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
1/4 Throttle

You'll find it sooner or later! I have heard of pick up problems, never seen one. There is a stator test you can do. Did they explain it? We see a few stators go out, especially with big lights and stereo.

Good luck!
lpmold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpmold View Post
You'll find it sooner or later! I have heard of pick up problems, never seen one. There is a stator test you can do. Did they explain it? We see a few stators go out, especially with big lights and stereo.

Good luck!
yeah i have seen seeds in the pick up line but have never seen them suck to the tank..i also have replaced a load of stators.. 70% of them had bad reverse rotation detection switch.. But they claim to test them the same way.. just by unplugging the voltage regulator..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
3/4 Throttle

Garage

well today i used a axu. fuel jung zip tied to the roof and ran line right to carb.. and made a run up the blacktop and when i was letting off to slow down is when it would shut down all the time..

This time i let off machine came to a stop and idled! and stayed running! so i hooked factory fuel system back up and it would recreate the problem..

So with this test i am positive the fuel pump is not pumping right...So i ordered up electric fuel pumps and relay/fues boxes for both rhino!!!!

Ill let you guys now this weekend it fixes the issue!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement