Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Need help installing front axel

20K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  JoeyD23 
#1 · (Edited)
Squeak...squeak.....squeeeeeak.....

As I tried to diagnosed out my nasty squeak problem on my front suspension...or should a say screeeach problem, I removed my front passenger upper A arm, and accidentaly lowered the jack causing the axle to pop off the spindle. Now I can't figure out how to install the axle back into place.:mad: I need your help on how to install it back.:eek:k:

As for the squeak problem...well..... I lubed the front suspension with KY jelly and now the squeak problem is gone but now the suspension make a moaning sound:confused:

#2 ·
Hah! Sounds like you've gotten a lot closer to your rhino than most of us.

As for the axle, it should just slide right into the spindle. I know there's a o-ring somewhere in there too....so be careful not to loose it or install it incorrectly. After you have it in place, you should be able to use the axle nut to help pull the axle fully through the spindle. As you tighten the nut, the axle will pull through. Hopes this help.

Oh yeah, take it easy on the KY:eek:k:

#3 ·
hmmm.. I didn't remove the axle nut. I belive i broke it completely. Do I need to remove boot cover. I can feel some type of rotating mechanism inside the boot but Im not able to slide the axle in there. Do I need to remove the axle nut on the front spindle? do anyone have any pictures of the front axle install?

Sorry but I'm not very familiar with all the proper name of the components. I am very good and taking stuff apart, but putting back together is a problem for me.:mad:

#6 ·
oksorry about the spelling

you pulled the cv off the axil (that ok) now you need to pull the nut off and remove the cv...now get a dead blow or rubber mailet and knok the cv back onto the axel

#5 ·
Squeak...squeak.....squeeeeeak.....

As for the squeak problem...well..... I lubed the front suspension with KY jelly and now the squeak problem is gone but now the suspension make a moaning sound:confused:
Hah......I didnt read the whole post......sounds to me like you have it all rubbed out eerrr...I mean all worked out...errr I mean its quiet now:laugh:...Now you just have to re stab the shaft:good:

#8 · (Edited)
Rog that's exactly what I did when i was trying to remove the Hemi joint (upper A-Arm) on the front passanger side. I had the rhino jacked up and i accidentaly lowered the jack down too fast and the axle slid off. I tried to slide in back into place but was not able to.

I can't slide the axle off the boot.

Do i need to remove the boot?

Turbo, BiggJim, 07FJ, There is nothing on the end of the shaft toward the spindle. Is this normal?

Oh and by the way the hemi joint on the Upper A Arm was frozen. I couldn't rotate the inner ball with my finger. I will check the driver side tonight. Tie rod hemi joints felt a bit rough while i rotated it with my fingers.
Spoke with the suspension manufacture and he sent over 4 new Hemi joints today!!!!

#22 ·
oh and by the way the hemi joint on the upper a arm was frozen. I couldn't rotate the inner ball with my finger. I will check the driver side tonight. Tie rod hemi joints felt a bit rough while i rotated it with my fingers.
Spoke with the suspension manufacture and he sent over 4 new hemi joints today!!!!

holy shit! Your rhino has a hemi? F u max powers! This guy will smoke your ass!

Seriously.....................dig around in that greese ball, your gonna need that cir clip.........

#15 ·
There is typically a little clip on the end of the axel shaft that is a pain in the ass to get pushed back into the cv joint. If you look at the end of the axel you will see a little groove where the clip goes on. If you allready tried to but it back on and the clip is not there you probable broke the clip inside the cv joint. I know from doing it myself and you can order new ones from yamaha. The easiest way to get those back over the clip is to put the axel in a vise take the cv joint slide it on the splines take while keeping pressure on the cv up against the clip with a small flat head screw driver and push the clip together untill the cv starts to go over the top of the clip. After it starts to go over the top of the clip take a hammer and tap the end of the cv where the axel nut goes on and it should pop right over that clip. Like I said it is a pain in the ass. If you have to buy the clip make sure you get extras because they break really easy.

#17 ·
First thing i would do is remove your upper, lower and tie rod end from the spindle so that you have no resistence. The you should be able to get it to mesh back up. Once you get it to mesh back up you will have to hit it with a dead blow hammer to get it to lock back in. If it doesnt lock back in you will need to remove the boot and make sure you clip is in place at the end of the axle. If it is not in place you will have to find it because it will cause you greif. I dont know if the stock boot clamps are reuseable. If they are not they sell them at kragen cheap. You will also have to buy the tool to reinstall the clamp Hopefully this helps. :confused: You will get it my guy:clap:

#18 ·
From this pic, I would need to remove the bottom A-arm, so the spindle,hub assembly would be loose. The only item which would stay intact would be the brake line. What's causing me grief is not been able to see how the shaft locks into the spindle assembly. As soon as I take off the boot, I should be able to install it.

http://www.rhinotalk.net/media/uploads/157/Shaft.jpg

#27 ·
You better find it. I snapped one of the big circlips banging in the new axles on my iShock setup, and I made damn sure I found the floating metal parts. You dont want anything to bind in your bearings while your driving. I had my neighbor take it to the dealership where he worked and they have a special machine to flush out all the grease.

Came back looking shiny and new.

If you havent done it yet, pull the boot, pull the CV - I think that side has the snap ring to hold it in place - clean the hell out of it, and reassemble. With a good amount of moly grease.

I find it hard to believe the c clip came off though, those things are hell to put on, and should never come off.

Good luck.

#31 ·
I would remove the CV and do as TimD said and flush it. You need to find that CirClip, it is probably in there. I could see it slipping off if the guys ho sawpped the CV bent it out to much when removing it or re installing it. In which case you may need a new one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.