Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Rear Diff nightmare!!

13K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Teamfry67401 
#1 ·
I am new to this site but have been trying to look for some answers and am coming up with anything. Ok so I have a 2007 660 Rhino that is having issues whith the rear diff and I can not find much info on it. The Rhino had 27 inch XTR's for 3 years and never had anything but an occational seal or axle problem. We upgraded to 29.5 Outlaws (wides) all the way around and on the first ride while pulling another bike up a hill the rear diff came apart. After looking into it I found the diff to have BAD bearings.. Like they were GONE. so I had to buy half of the housing a bearing kit and seals. Put it back together and rode about 3 or 4 rides and the diff started clicking so we pulled it back down and did bearings AGAIN, due to the wear. Everything else seemed to be ok. Once again we rode and made 3 or 4 rides and the diff started making the noises all over. So In January of this year I pulled it apart and noticed the ring and pinion gear to have heavy wear, so I replaced them and all the bearings and seals. We made one full weekend ride and 2 day rides and am about to pull the diff once again. Right now in High or Low the diff seems to be ok, but when you put it in reverse and turn while backing up the diff starts clicking/popping... We have just swapped the tires over to 29.5Outlaw (skinny's) and am hoping that will help but am not convinced it will. I am at the end of my rope with this and am hoping someone else has had similar problems or knows what I should do. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated..

Just a side note

The Rhino has had the diff bracket upgrade, 3 in Extreme lift, rear gorilla axles.. I am not sure of anything else that would effect the diff that we have upgraded.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello I'm a Yamaha tech ill try to give you some ideas last time I was having a clicking and popping it was a shim problem when you put new bearings in a diff you have to re shim them and check how the ring is meshing with the pinion easy way is to take it apart clean it out take a paint pin and put some paint on the gears to see how they are making contact don't want to much or to little best bet would be to take the diff to the dealer and have them shim it for you its got to b spot on or you will have the same problem again if you have any ? Give me a call 785-309-6799

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.