Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Rhino Smokin BAD, need help on NEW top end

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  duckman 
#1 ·
I bought a 2005 Rhino that had been modified. The engine had a new computer control moduel and dual exahaust. The engine appears to have a new cylinder head and the body had stickers from Trinity Racing & JE Pistons. I believ the oil ring broke or worse. The engine runs and puts out reasonable power, it just smokes terribly and smells of heavy unburnt fuel and oil. I figure a new top end is in order and would like any advise on what to look for and what type of engine mod was done based on the little info I have.

#3 ·
Has custom air filet, Scepter System. Appears to be a K & N clone, stock airbox is long gone. Oil breather tube attached to port on 3" aluminum tube. Tube is shaped like a banana with the filter attached at one end & the othe to the carb. Engine got real hot in Dunes and quit. i thought it seized up but after cooling down it ran but very heavy smoke.

#5 ·
I thought of that, but smoke is heavy on fuel oil smell, smoke is light gray at first, then goes black no smell of radiator fluid. I'm all for doing a top end rebuild. Looks fairly like a straight forward repair, anything to take notice on, like the valve train, cam chain etc. Repair manual suggest removing the motor, is that really necessary ? Cant this top end rebuild be done with engine in the frame ?

#6 ·
Yes you can do a top end in the chassis. You will just need to be aware of timing marks and its a pretty straight forward top end:good: As far as what mods it has done...the cam should have some identifying markings as well as the piston. Good Luck:good:

#7 ·
top end rebuild

Machine is a stock 06 model no modifications . Has lost now power or pep out of the hole or on the top end but has started smoking terribly and using oil. Was told ring could be stuck so I pulled plug and bottomed out piston and filled cylinder with sea foam and let it sit. After doing this, it still smokes like crazy. Am going to do a top end rebuild but cant figure out what kit to get, seems like there are several different sizes on the piston rings and I don't know what size mine is . How do I tell , is there an ID plate on the machine somewhere ? Any advice will help

Duckman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.