Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Street Legal in Cali!

23K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  RyNo 
#1 ·
Anybody find out how to do this yet? Looking to make this happen very soon!

#9 ·
From CA DMV:
Eligibility for on-highway registration

To be eligible for on-highway registration, 1978 year model and newer off-highway vehicles with an engine size of 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or larger must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use.

Exception: 2005 year model or older motorcycles with an engine size of 50 cc or less are exempt from the emission label requirements.

Emission systems cannot be converted to qualify for on-highway registration. For further information on emission standards, contact the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450.

CA DMV Website: How To Register an Off-Highway Vehicle

#11 ·
I have been putting together a list of the states that you can put a rhino on pavement legally...

Just kind of a personal quest ,,,MAYBE ;)

Here's the list I have found so far ::

Arizona
Wyoming
West Virgina
Tenn.
Minnesota
Georgia
Montana

Indiana ( By County )
Colorado ( By County )

Anybody else ????????????

#13 ·
I had a local guy near me selling his 450 on craigslist. I offered him a trade+ with my golf cart and told him I can make the cart street legal very easily. His reply was no thanks, I can make my rhino street legal just as easy... He went on to say in his reply that there are tons of rhinos up in his areas with CA license plates.
Then I asked him why he didn't license his and he never emailed me back.

#18 ·
I mentioned this before on another forum and the only way we can do it is to get a lobbyist in Sacramento to help us change / write the law... If we look at all of the UTV's out in CALI there is enough dollars to help the CA economy (AZ reg 250.00 a year) also our justification is that other states allow it... we just need someone to take on that fight for us.

My 2 cents worth...

#21 ·
The AZ legislature has stated that they will soon adopt CA emission standards. If that's the case, I wonder how it will affect the street-legal SxS?

This is just a guess, but knowing how bad government control sucks, I *think* they'd grandfather the currently registered ones in, but not allow any new ones to get registered. But ideally, they'd leave the SxS's alone.

#27 ·
Street Legal HIDs

I hope this isnt hijacking the thread but what kind of equipment is needed in CA to make a rhino street legal?

what if I told you its possible to make a street legal hid light kit for the rhino that retro kits the OEM headlights???? I just want to know if anyone here would be intrerested and if so how many of you? I guess maybe PM me so we dont jack up the thread.

Impossible like one of my "competitors" says???? LMAO!! wrong. :laugh: I dare say its not.

#35 ·
There are some loop holes that were looking into, but we dont want to show our cards just yet. "I" was told by some local "L E" "WERE WATCHING THESE TYPE OF SITES FOR INFO, NO MATTER HOW SMALL", locally we've seen them step up the patrols. One guy has turned into a NAZI. I'll post more later.

#40 ·
Streel legal :: Really ?

Lately I've been seeing a LOT more 'Golf Cart' types on the road here in town

What has caught my eye is Ma and Pa type driving around in these things that somehow got a lic. plate
I've even seen a few OLD ones that didn't have turn siginals
Saw one at the supermarket that had a trash can in the back and crutches next to it ( Caught my eye because it looked like the Jackass logo )

Somehow these unsafe / no D.O.T. tires / no occupant saftey cage
are getting Lic. plates

But try to Lic. a Rhino :: O God No !!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.