Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

no power with key turned

22K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  BiggJim 
#1 ·
Some may know me from rf.net. I tore my rhino down last spring for a full build las night we plugged all the Instrument accesoriess back in the battery has juice(we bipassed the fuses after a hour of trying and got the engine to crank. Everything but the cig lighter and stock fuel sender plug is hooked up we get no power with the turn of the key!? Is there a crucial ground we are completly missing? We get nothing no digi display? We putthe stock cdi back in, used an optima the stock baterry has plenty of juice! We r her frustrated it has to be something simple we r missing? All the switches and digi dash are hanging! Not in the dash ( custom one is being made) any suggestions?

#2 ·
welcome to rhinotalk. sorry i cant help you w your problem over the net, it could be alot of different things since it was completely tore down. im sure someone will chime in w a few suggestions though, we've got some very knowledgeable ppl here. glad you found us.:good:

#5 ·
If I read his post right his dash isn't lighting up, He has a plug unplugged somewhere imo. Are all three plugs back into the cdi?

#6 ·
it was in neautral but foot wasn't on the brake it's been so long since we strted it even still with the key turned won't the lights and digi cluster come on? We get nothing. We checked that ground at the part that looks burnt but not at the ground source! Were both at work but will attack it again when home Leo the suggestions coming!

#8 ·
My advice is to follow the harness from the dash to the fuse box to the motor, you have something unplugged somewhere.

#11 ·
we've gone from the harness to the engine and back 30 times all looks legit cdi all fuses ignition, 4wd select, light switch, and digi cluster is all plugged in , the stock sending unit plug is not nor the lighter. Front headlights are not plugged in either. It has I be something stupid can u turn the key and get power without your foot on the brake? Brake and neauteal is only to fire it up?

#14 ·
The dash will light up if the key is on, Regardless of the position of the shifter. I wish I could be more help!

#17 ·
I don't know if this will help, but I was having the same problem. After two days of trouble shooting the problem I figured out it was my ignition switch had gone bad. That was it. I swapped it out with a buddies and the Rhino fired right up. Hope its that simple for you. Good luck.

#18 ·
another rhino tow in.

Rhino was running fine, turned engine off, went to start -dash lights came on but when I turned the switch it kills all power. No headlights,If I leave switch on the instrument panel works but step on the brake try to turn on the lights or the ignition to start and everything goes out. Was running fine all day till I stopped the engine and tried to restart. Seems like a dead short in the electrical system, battery has full charge. 13 volts. Changed back to stock CDI no difference. Has anyone else experienced this electrical problem?

#19 ·
Rhino was running fine, turned engine off, went to start -dash lights came on but when I turned the switch it kills all power. No headlights,If I leave switch on the instrument panel works but step on the brake try to turn on the lights or the ignition to start and everything goes out. Was running fine all day till I stopped the engine and tried to restart. Seems like a dead short in the electrical system, battery has full charge. 13 volts. Changed back to stock CDI no difference. Has anyone else experienced this electrical problem?
Welcome aboard:wave:
I have ran into a similar problem. I had a loose connection. It was connected enough to turn the dash lights on but as soon as you hit the key to crank it it would go black. If I am not mistaken one of the nuts on the soliniod in the box was loose. Check all connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.