Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

time for anthor L.T. ?

13K views 81 replies 19 participants last post by  norcal rhinio 
#1 ·
time to ask a question. I've narrowed my selectoin to LSR and XMF. the LSR is +2 foward and XMF is +0 forward. Is there an advantage to the longer wheel base other than easier to start up a dune face.

#5 ·
it keeps the stock steering geometry not moving it forward, it steers way better IMO, LT cars are kinda hard to turn at slow speeds. also the lsr is 6.5 not 6, so axles are harder to find, you have to use thiers or have some made, 6" axles are everywhere. ive broken 4 axles on mine and found a spare in the dunes all 4 times!!! this is important IMO

#14 ·
LSR steers just as easy as Stock, or you can set it up to steer harder for high speed desert or short course. you have the option, unlike other kits.

lifetime warranty on axles from LSR also. even Gorilla does not do that.

Disadvantage is that it is heavy, but very strong!!!!

If I bought another kit it would an HRT motorsports sheet metal kit with adj fox shocks, lightweight, very strong, and turn better than most any kit out there, period!!!

Call them 760-788-0019

Rog
what has HRT ever won? LOL duh JK
i agree, whatever todd does seems to kick ass!!
lifetime warranty is great, but if you break in the dunes your weekend is done, a standard 6 over can be swapped from many other kits in a pinch if needed, i bummed a gearone axle at the brp meet last year and it fit perfect, will be much harder to find a 6.5 in G IMO, not bashing LSR, the kit is insane and race proven, just the size is weird to me, does the .5" give any more travel?

#21 ·
Thank god LSR warrantys the axles, they break a lot. They only warranty them if your the original purchaser of the kit and can prove it. Even if you go buy an axle from them, and it breaks they wont warranty it if you cant prove your the original purchaser of the kit is what i'm hearing.

#23 ·
Ok so here is another question to throw in the mix. The shock towers, worth it or not? Too much for a rhino? What exactly is the advantage to running them? Can you run a better shock with more travel or is it mearly the relocation of the shock for better pivot?

#24 ·
Ok so here is another question to throw in the mix. The shock towers, worth it or not? Too much for a rhino? What exactly is the advantage to running them? Can you run a better shock with more travel or is it mearly the relocation of the shock for better pivot?
Yes it gives you more travel, And yes HRT stands behind their product, not many warranty axles from any kit, very few. HRT uses Sommers brothers axles ( just like Magnum does) in either 300m or chromoly, or you can upgrade to Gorillas if you want I believe.

#30 · (Edited)
Towers are way overrated. Its a sales gimmik. Proper shock spring and valve rates are what's important. Also if the same length shocks are used with and without towers, there is less travel with towers.

Xmf!!!
the same shocks are not used with or without the tower, if peeps are doing that and still bitching, they did not do the research.

#32 ·
Geometry

Moving the axles forward 2 inches is not the culprit of the steering problems it is proper caster and camber angles and the steering ackerman. LSR now has a bushing kit so you can adjust the caster. As far as kits go I sell them both but I think at this point for availability and customer service the XMF is the way to go. They now have ELKA's available my preference would be XMF with ELKA's over the WER's.

#33 ·
FST Cornering

Roger how do you explain Dan winning the last CORR race on Saturday mostly due to corning. I agree Dans car did not work well at first but after having a tuner there to help at the CORR race it worked much better.

AZ Court if shock towers are over rated and a gimick why is XMF building new race cars with longer shocks and shock towers. You can ask Jimmy and Scott I have talked to them both, it is very hard to achieve the proper dampening with shocks that are the lengths they are. When you have drivers like Bobby and Dan that can out drive the car its time for more fluid displacement and the only way to do that is with more shock body to hold more fluid.

#35 · (Edited)
Roger how do you explain Dan winning the last CORR race on Saturday mostly due to corning. I agree Dans car did not work well at first but after having a tuner there to help at the CORR race it worked much better.

AZ Court if shock towers are over rated and a gimick why is XMF building new race cars with longer shocks and shock towers. You can ask Jimmy and Scott I have talked to them both, it is very hard to achieve the proper dampening with shocks that are the lengths they are. When you have drivers like Bobby and Dan that can out drive the car its time for more fluid displacement and the only way to do that is with more shock body to hold more fluid.

this is always a poor subject, and gets freinds mad at each other.

#48 · (Edited)
STIFF! Thats how the shocks should be! When the shock guys tell you that you have too much compression and if you add more you will have too much fade, tell him to STFU and add more compression! It works!

Sorry thriller, this is a bad subject every time on every forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.