Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

2007 660 engine trouble

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  07fj 
#1 ·
My 660 just brakes down terrible in reverse under load. Seems Ok in forward gears, it seems like the rev limiter is kicking in but bike will just barely move in reverse. Any ideas?

#7 ·
You need to get with one of your buddys that has a dyna ignition box and try their box. The procomm box has that limiter there so do the stock one. They are not intended to run any rpms in reverse. They are definatly not designed to run under a load in reverse. HOWEVER...if you are needing it to work better in reverse the dyna box has no reverse rev limiter.

The switch: The reverse switch is NOT bad unless you are having that rev limit in your forward gears also.

#8 ·
Ok went out today and tried in forward gear 50mph on a slight down grade and no problem with the rev limiter. Tried in reverse with a slow ease in gas peddle and I can back up with lots of speed,as soon as I put the peddle to the metal in reverse(regardless of speed) the rev limiter cuts in. Don't have many Rhinos in my area wouldn't find one with the box on it. Procom didn't do this when new so I guess what you are telling me is the box has probably gone bad. I can't believe the stock one should do this from a dead stop and not reving that high. But I took mine off as soon as i bought it so don't know.
I wonder if anyone with a stock box working proper could try this for me,full reverse from dead stop see if the limiter cuts in.
Thanks for all the help on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.