Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

Question for the duners

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TURBO 
#1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone else has had problems eating huge clouds of sand while jumping their rhinos, and if anyone has found solutions (short of a windshield (or not jumping)).

The front end seems to dig in on the base of a jump, scooping a few shovelfuls up in the air for passengers to fly through. I could live with this, but my wife is, well, considerably less forgiving of catching sand in the face. :eek:

#4 ·
This is the best answer in general for sure.

i have found that when i stiffen my front suspension i can hit harder without digging into the sand. The stiffer my front suspension, the harder I can hit a quick transistion jump.

Also thottle control helps, dont preload your suspension before a hill. try to work the gas so you can ge the suspension on an up swing as if you want to wheely into a uphill. the line you choose is also important try to keep your tires up and in the highest part of a whoop or bump if possible. Dont go straight on will help in some cases.

Sorry for the long answer, i could just say practice alot.

also how far does your front bumper stick out? Seem like Rhino's with big bumpers dig more?

#3 ·
Less rebound in the rear shocks to keep the attitude flatter?

#5 ·
Cool, thanks guys. I'm not too bad at finding good transitions I think, but maybe some more practice with throttle control might help.

I have WERS on it, with the preload cranked, and rebound cranked as well on the front. Bumper is stock.

It sorta looks like maybe the winch mount is the part catching the sand, wondering if maybe a guard could be fabbed up that might keep that from happening...

#10 ·
That is the issue. Cut the front "wedge " out of the chassis and replace it with a 2" tube. You will have to do some fab work. It makes a huge difference. HRT Motorsports does this to their race car chassis too. Even in the dirt, the stock front wedge will auger into the ground.

#15 ·
ok here we go
i have been dealing with this mysilf and so far iv got this!
if your plowing your front valving is rong. and must be stiffer /what socks do you have and what pre load is verry in portant .
if i go for big air i plow the front some times. looked in to it found i need to revalve the front!
talk to the makers of your shocks and that will give you more than any thing
the info here is our test and tune the info that your shock co will be fast and all most right unless you have elka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.