Rear Diff Help - leaky drive shaft - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
How-To's Database of technical articles to assist those do-it-yourselfers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Rear Diff Help - leaky drive shaft

I have rear diff oil leaking out the front of the drive shaft. I read a few posts and decided to dig in.

I pulled the rear diff, and two "seals" popped out of the drive shaft end. One is like a plug the other a round rubber washer. Based on the manual, I can see how this little plug goes in the drive shaft hole. But there is a round washer seal? Its not clear where this was and its not in the manual. It was kinda of sitting in front of the bolt that holds the rotor on. The washer is also split so it has a break in the circle. There was little rubber pieces laying around the bolt.

I cleaned everything out and now I am trying to re-assemble and am not sure if I can leave that washer out, or if that was my problem, or if just the bolt being lose was the problem. I am guessing here, but I think maybe the seal "pushes" over whats left of the threads in front of the bolt that holds the rotor on?

Does this sound familiar? I have a 2004 rhino.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear Diff Seal.jpg (45.3 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Founding Ninja

did it come off after you took the rotor off? ( the split one)

the nut on the front of the rear diff can be loose causing the seal to leak.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Bump thanks Rog!!

hey guys we have a new member that needs some help! Anyone know how to fix his problem?

Some of you mechanical guys that know this stuff need to help the fuck out!

Benchmark Performance 760-484-0986
BYC Motorsports

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

The plug popped out as I split the axle from the diff, then as I was lowering the diff, the washer was laying in the shaft hole. (where the nut you tighten is) And yea, from reading posts, I was thinking I could just tighten it, then put the pulg back and reassemble. The washer is throwing me off?

Maybe it came from somewhere else and landed in the input shaft housing? It looked like it was already in there. My best guess is that it may layover the bolt on the thread, and kind of wraps around the end of the plug? I am really guessing here.

I do have to say dropping the diff was pretty easy, and painless. This little washer is really setting me back on time to reassemble.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Wide F'n Open

Hard to tell from the pics (nothing to scale it against) but I think we are taking about the "bumper" that goes on the diff end of the driveline. When it is not broken up, it looks like a mushroom or "T" plug. In other words, that washer looking thing is supposed to be one piece with the plug looking thing.... the plug part then fits in the hole in the diff end of the driveline, and the washer part forms a cushion between the end of the driveshaft & the bottom of the socket it fits into. When I did my swap & pulled the driveline, mine looked just like that. The Yami dealer shows that piece on the parts diagram, but it had no number or name, so he said he couldn't order one for me... even called the factory, and they said I needed to order the whole diff or driveline assembly (they weren't sure which) to get it. Finally ended up machining my own from a polyurethane suspension bushing. Maybe Yami has their shit together now.... good luck.

Last edited by Lil Foot; 04-28-2009 at 04:34 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

I just got back from KMS - Kelly is the man!! Really appreciate his quick help. I walked in he said exactly what Lil Foot has descirbed as the "bumper". Kelly was able to indentify the part number quick and actually had one!!

Kelly also thought that since the diff was out may want to replace the diff seal and also commented that sometimes you can tighten them, but while out a seal seems pretty easy too.

KMS - thank you so much for your time and great customer service!!!

Lil Foot - thanks for the reply it was spot on.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 AM
1/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino1 View Post
I have rear diff oil leaking out the front of the drive shaft. I read a few posts and decided to dig in.

I pulled the rear diff, and two "seals" popped out of the drive shaft end. One is like a plug the other a round rubber washer. Based on the manual, I can see how this little plug goes in the drive shaft hole. But there is a round washer seal? Its not clear where this was and its not in the manual. It was kinda of sitting in front of the bolt that holds the rotor on. The washer is also split so it has a break in the circle. There was little rubber pieces laying around the bolt.

I cleaned everything out and now I am trying to re-assemble and am not sure if I can leave that washer out, or if that was my problem, or if just the bolt being lose was the problem. I am guessing here, but I think maybe the seal "pushes" over whats left of the threads in front of the bolt that holds the rotor on?

Does this sound familiar? I have a 2004 rhino.
Hi having taking this appart 3days ago I do know what happen and where the part fit!
First of all the nut that holds the pinion on the diff came loose just like mine did,and wore the seal that you have in 2 pieces,actually this is not a seal it is used as a thrust damper or bushing and is not in 2 pieces actually in one.The thrust washer sits on the end of the drideshaft, when you buy a new one you will see how everything fits.I know mayby they are not clear sometimes on pictures,they try to keep a few things secret!
So when you put it back togetter torque it at 58ft pound and put red or blue lock tite on the threads.Also you should change the pinion seal even if the oil was comming out of the center of shaft wicth was my problem by the way!Another thing check the crossmembers holding the diff mine was cracked in 4 places.
Good luck hope this answered all your questions?By the way I have being a mechanic for30yrs so will not BS anybody!Let us know if your repair was sucessfull!See you on site!
YAMADODGE!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadodge View Post
Hi having taking this appart 3days ago I do know what happen and where the part fit!
First of all the nut that holds the pinion on the diff came loose just like mine did,and wore the seal that you have in 2 pieces,actually this is not a seal it is used as a thrust damper or bushing and is not in 2 pieces actually in one.The thrust washer sits on the end of the drideshaft, when you buy a new one you will see how everything fits.I know mayby they are not clear sometimes on pictures,they try to keep a few things secret!
So when you put it back togetter torque it at 58ft pound and put red or blue lock tite on the threads.Also you should change the pinion seal even if the oil was comming out of the center of shaft wicth was my problem by the way!Another thing check the crossmembers holding the diff mine was cracked in 4 places.
Good luck hope this answered all your questions?By the way I have being a mechanic for30yrs so will not BS anybody!Let us know if your repair was sucessfull!See you on site!
YAMADODGE!
you should add diff supports to help in preventing cracking.

BYC motorsports and Lonestar sell them for each end.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 AM
1/4 Throttle

So is this a lot of work to do? Replace a diff seal? Local dealer says mine is leaking and they want 3.5 hours labor plus parts @ $93/hr. I am somewhat handy and would like to do it myself so I can learn a thing or two. Do I need a service manual for this? I plan on getting one eventually. Thanks Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement