New Old Guy... - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Lightbulb New Old Guy...

Hello everyone,

My name is Curley and I'm new to this forum but old to motor sports. I'm 51 and live in the thriving metropolis of Saint Joseph, MO. It's a crappy little agricultural based community about 50 miles due north of Kansas City.
I grew up on a farm riding motorcycles every minute I could, got my first one at age 6 and a day has never passed that I did not own a cycle or ATV of some type. Started working in a local bike shop in my early teens cleaning up and assembling new bikes etc. I loved the work and luckily I made a career of it. In the right place at the right time.
In 2000 I was teaching at a motorcycle tech school in Arizona, I took a little trip on a long weekend and had an accident that not only ended my career by my ability to ride on 2 wheels. While riding along a narrow 2 lane highway an illegal immigrant traveling towards me crossed the center line and hit me head on. I woke up a month later minus my left arm & leg then spent a total of 366 days in the hospital to live the rest of my days in a wheelchair. With the driver being an illegal immigrant with no insurance there was nobody to file a legal claim against, it would only cost me lawyer fees for nothing so I was screwed. I had just gotten divorced months earlier, she got it all & I got the bills so I had nothing to fall back on.
Well life sucked and not being able to ride meant it was not worth living to me, I was depressed over the next few years. In 2003 an old coworker that was working for Yamaha in Cypress contacted me and told about the upcoming Rhino. It had no name yet at that time but he described it as a Ranger with Balls! A smaller more nimble machine with the Grizzly drivetrain and automotive controls. I could still drive a car with an automatic transmission so I was interested to put it mildly but flat broke with only SSDI income, back to square one.
Luckily I have the best Brother on the planet that is doing very well in life, he surprised me in October of 05 with a gift, a beautiful Blue 2006 Rhino SE. He is an engineer and after a few hours in the garage we had it modified so I could operate it safely and easily. Smiles are much easier to come by these days and being able to ride again... words can't describe how much it means to me to be able to get back out into the woods I love so dearly.

That's my life in a nutshell almost... The best thing in my life is my 11 yr. old Daughter Cheyenne.

There is not much for riding areas in my zip code so if you live anywhere near me and don't mind helping me unload then load my Rhino at the end of the day, and don't mind helping me get into & out of the Rhino lets get together and ride! Once I'm in the seat you won't spend your day fooling with me, I won't need anything until the ride ends. Once in a blue moon I like a beer (after 4:20pm of course) but otherwise I'm a bit square.. lol. I'm a bit of a modern day environmentalist (some might call me a hippie) that practices responsible off-road riding. I have no problem climbing the meanest nastiest terrain and using the land responsibly, but if your the kind of guy that throws trash along the trail or needlessly digs a rut a few feet deeper and smoking your clutch in the process when you get stuck, instead of having a friend pull you out or winching out then we might not get along real well. I have seen to many great riding areas closed due to this behavior.

email me at [email protected] if you want to ride or if you are having trouble with your American or Asian bike, quad, ski, sled or RTV and I'll be glad to help if possible. If it's a Harley (or clone), Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki I'm glad to help.

Hope to see you along the trail,
Curley
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Wide F'n Open

Curley, glad to have you over here!!!!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 AM
CommanderTalk.com

Well that was a heck of an intro!

Great to have you with us my friend looking forward to seeing you around often!

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 AM

Welcome Curley to The Site
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Wide F'n Open

That was the longest intro I've ever seen. Yea, Curley I'd be happy to help you get to the ride. I'll send you an email to set something up. I'm glad you finaly made the trip over to this site.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:52 AM
Red Cup Ninja

welcome curly, sounds like your getting things back on track, good for you!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Founding Ninja

Glad to see your heading in the right direction now Welcome from So Cal !

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Wide F'n Open

Welcome Curley! If you ever make it to AZ with your Rhino. I'd be happy to go on a ride with you.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Howdy best intro that I have ever seen. Nice work. You are welcome to ride with us anytime in Arizona, just wait until the winter it is hot as hell out here now.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:17 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

welcome curly
I know you been around the forums for a long time and we are very lucky to have you as a member. welcome

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement