Rhino Smokin BAD, need help on NEW top end - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Unhappy Rhino Smokin BAD, need help on NEW top end

I bought a 2005 Rhino that had been modified. The engine had a new computer control moduel and dual exahaust. The engine appears to have a new cylinder head and the body had stickers from Trinity Racing & JE Pistons. I believ the oil ring broke or worse. The engine runs and puts out reasonable power, it just smokes terribly and smells of heavy unburnt fuel and oil. I figure a new top end is in order and would like any advise on what to look for and what type of engine mod was done based on the little info I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:38 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvhigh View Post
I bought a 2005 Rhino that had been modified. The engine had a new computer control moduel and dual exahaust. The engine appears to have a new cylinder head and the body had stickers from Trinity Racing & JE Pistons. I believ the oil ring broke or worse. The engine runs and puts out reasonable power, it just smokes terribly and smells of heavy unburnt fuel and oil. I figure a new top end is in order and would like any advise on what to look for and what type of engine mod was done based on the little info I have.
what does the air filter look like/ covered in oil?
look at where the oil breather comes out the engine, does it go straight to the air filter or is there a plastic bottle in between?

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Has custom air filet, Scepter System. Appears to be a K & N clone, stock airbox is long gone. Oil breather tube attached to port on 3" aluminum tube. Tube is shaped like a banana with the filter attached at one end & the othe to the carb. Engine got real hot in Dunes and quit. i thought it seized up but after cooling down it ran but very heavy smoke.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvhigh View Post
Has custom air filet, Scepter System. Appears to be a K & N clone, stock airbox is long gone. Oil breather tube attached to port on 3" aluminum tube. Tube is shaped like a banana with the filter attached at one end & the othe to the carb. Engine got real hot in Dunes and quit. i thought it seized up but after cooling down it ran but very heavy smoke.
you probably have a blown head gasket
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

I thought of that, but smoke is heavy on fuel oil smell, smoke is light gray at first, then goes black no smell of radiator fluid. I'm all for doing a top end rebuild. Looks fairly like a straight forward repair, anything to take notice on, like the valve train, cam chain etc. Repair manual suggest removing the motor, is that really necessary ? Cant this top end rebuild be done with engine in the frame ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Yes you can do a top end in the chassis. You will just need to be aware of timing marks and its a pretty straight forward top end As far as what mods it has done...the cam should have some identifying markings as well as the piston. Good Luck

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:09 PM
1/4 Throttle

top end rebuild

Machine is a stock 06 model no modifications . Has lost now power or pep out of the hole or on the top end but has started smoking terribly and using oil. Was told ring could be stuck so I pulled plug and bottomed out piston and filled cylinder with sea foam and let it sit. After doing this, it still smokes like crazy. Am going to do a top end rebuild but cant figure out what kit to get, seems like there are several different sizes on the piston rings and I don't know what size mine is . How do I tell , is there an ID plate on the machine somewhere ? Any advice will help

Duckman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement