clueless yamaha rhino overheating problem - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

clueless yamaha rhino overheating problem

"clueless" puts this best since I am a widow with a Rhino which I was counting on being my "right arm" with yardwork and no idea as to how to participate in an on-line forum of any kind (no facebook, etc.). The Rhino is overheating--water level in radiator seems to be okay, oil okay. Looking at the manual, I find no mention of a thermostat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
1/4 Throttle

i would check it for head gasket leak. any milky colored oil or oil in radiator?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:12 AM
1/4 Throttle

Overheating rhino

Make sure the radiator is clean.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Founding Ninja

a couple things, open radiator cap while cold, start engine, and see if water is moving.

no movement, it has a broken tang on the waterpump shaft, not uncommon.

take to mechanic for repair.

there is no thermostat in a 660 rhino.

if water moves see if it has many bubbles forming in it or water blows out in pulses, if so, might be a head gasket.

no bubbles and water moves, need to check for air in the system, pretty easy really. remove seats, then engine cover. On drivers side near top of motor, you will see a return hose on what should be the thermostat housing, there is a bleeder bolt on it, loosen this bolt to see if fluid comes out, or leave open until it does, then tighten, check water level again.

when warm, does the fan run? they also can go bad or the fan switch on lower pass side of radiator.

separate-- the dipstick is not screwed into the motor to check oil level, just set in hole on a yamaha rhino. oil change with filter is 2.3 quarts.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:20 AM
1/4 Throttle

what year is ur rhino the o4 an o5 had a breaker on it that keeps blowing causeing the the over heating light to come on but it wasn't hot take it out an put a n-line fuse n thats what mine did an it fixed it
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by james micheal wyatt View Post
what year is ur rhino the o4 an o5 had a breaker on it that keeps blowing causeing the the over heating light to come on but it wasn't hot take it out an put a n-line fuse n thats what mine did an it fixed it
give her more info, where is the breaker?

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 PM
1/4 Throttle

Overheating Question

I have a 2005 rhino 660...I have been getting the red over heat light but not convinced it's running hot. There is no water loss..no water in the oil, no white exhaust or coolant smell out of the exhaust. Fan works, turns on at 170*. The light doesn't come on with the engine off key on test. I unplug the temp sending unit and the light turns on, plug it in light turns off. is this accurate. One post i saw mentioned a circuit breaker on the 04 and 05, to replace it with a inline fuse. where is this breaker located. had a faulty radiator cap and i replaced it, rhino sat and idled for 1.5 hr before light turned on....fan was running. Turned engine off and turned key on to let the fan run and cool it off. Fan shut off but light stayed on for several minutes. Im running the rhino perf exhaust from alba, rejeted carb kit that came with exhaust and a K&N filter which is clean..changed the oil and filter a few weeks ago after overheating problem started.

Last edited by emrigby3; 07-16-2012 at 06:13 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 PM
1/4 Throttle

Any more word on this thread...having a similar problem. I wonder...the comment about the water pump issue...I was wondering about that on my unit...the comment about the water pump failure being common...is that the same with the 700cc engine too?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
1/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdshort98 View Post
Any more word on this thread...having a similar problem. I wonder...the comment about the water pump issue...I was wondering about that on my unit...the comment about the water pump failure being common...is that the same with the 700cc engine too?
I haven't heard anything from anyone on here...I did find out that the overheat light works "backwards" it looses it's ground to turn on..not making a ground. One of my problems was there was a lot of mud in radiator and oil cooler. cleaned it out and it helped the idling for over an hour and over heating. but riding in the woods at the hunt club still over heats. I understand that the water pump is rpm controlled. so at lower speeds the water flow demand is down and it probably keeps up. but at higher speeds and higher water flow demands it seems to overheat quicker...the other day i rode a slow pace and it took 3 miles for the light to come on and overheat. i drove it hard back to the truck which was a mile away and the light came on. i was told that one of the impeller blades probably has rusted off. I haven't been able to confirm this but hope to this week.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-05-2012, 05:03 PM
1/4 Throttle

Please let me know what you see...I noticed with mine that at higher speed it overheats faster. I was starting to think water pump, but it's aluminum I think. I thought maybe a blade or two broke off, but it seems to be a lot of work to get to the impeller...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement