Looking to buy - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Member Introductions We are happy to have you with us, please take a moment to introduce yourself to the rest of the members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Looking to buy

Hello,

I am in Arizona and looking to buy my first UTV. I have been reading an think I would like to purchase a Rhino. I have about $10k budgeted need a 4 seater. Can anyone point me in a good direction other than Craigslist to find a good deal in my area?

Can anyone give me some input as to what accessories or performance mods I should be looking for? I have been told that FI is the way to go, any input on that?

Thanks,

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs1 View Post
Hello,

I am in Arizona and looking to buy my first UTV. I have been reading an think I would like to purchase a Rhino. I have about $10k budgeted need a 4 seater. Can anyone point me in a good direction other than Craigslist to find a good deal in my area?

Can anyone give me some input as to what accessories or performance mods I should be looking for? I have been told that FI is the way to go, any input on that?

Thanks,

Kevin
For $10k I take it your looking for used machines. You'll never find a new machine for $10k with the rear seat system. However, if your looking for a true 4 seat machine Yamaha doesn't build a 4 seat rhino. You have to modify the bed of the rhino to accept the rear seat, and add on roll cage. You will have huge bill doing so. Last time I saw a rhino with the add on roll cage and the rear seat it was around $15,000 and that was a year old model with 1000 miles on it. Plus it had other add ons such as upgraded wheels and tires.

Add on accessories are hard to point out due to not knowing what your use of the machine will be. Personally the first accessory I do is the installation of a winch. After owning a Yamaha Grizzly 450 with the winch mounted permanently up front, I opted for the multi-mount option for my Rhino. The ability to hook the winch up to the front or rear of the vehicle makes recovery and utility purposes so much easier.

Other accessories to look at is an auxiliary battery installation, with a battery isolator. This is a great idea if you plan on using a bunch of auxiliary lights too. Running a bunch of lights and a winch will quickly drain your battery and in some cases can cause the rhino engine to shut down and it won't start again until you recharge the battery. There's been a few posts about this happening in a hard winch use operation.

Some overhead offraod lights are an absolute must if you plan on running around the wilderness at nigh as the stock headlights well...they truly suck.

I'm looking at ordering some materials to build a windshield and top and also a light bar for my rhino. The windshield I think is a must unless you wear goggles as the wind hitting your face along with the bugs flying into your eyes can become a hazard on the trail.

Again depending on what you plan on using the vehicle for I would also look at some sort of roof rack system to allow you to haul your gear while your on the trail.

Add a tire repair kit, small 12V air compressor, a jack, and a spare wheel and tire. If you plan on venturing far away from camp or wherever your heading you'll need to prepare for hazards so bring extra parts like CVT belts too.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Thank you for all your detailed info wildbill. That is just what I needed. I'm looking at an 08 with about 100 hours on it. Special edition, winch, seats (front and back), 5 point harnesses, roll cage, 4 cage mounted lights, radio, wheels and tires, spacers, roof etc, all for right about my price point. I think this is a good deal?

I'm gonna check it out next week and see how it looks in person.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs1 View Post
Thank you for all your detailed info wildbill. That is just what I needed. I'm looking at an 08 with about 100 hours on it. Special edition, winch, seats (front and back), 5 point harnesses, roll cage, 4 cage mounted lights, radio, wheels and tires, spacers, roof etc, all for right about my price point. I think this is a good deal?

I'm gonna check it out next week and see how it looks in person.
Holy crap if you can get all that for under $11k that's an awesome deal. I paid $11,300 for my 2011 rhino 700fi brand new with nothing on it. Added the winch and the snow plow package so far for another $1250. So I have $12550 tied up in my rhino and then lost my job so I haven't added any other mods to it. Seriously though 100 hours isn't that much I think I have close to 91 hours on mine and 950 miles and I've only had it 11 months. Yes, I use the crap out of mine for utility use around home (well my mom does mainly) and I drive it all over the place when I'm up camping, and once in a while I drive it into town where I live as its licensed, I just don't do it often because I don't have my street tires yet. Buying a UTV is a great investment especially if you have a house with a large yard or lots of property. I had an ATV but my mom wouldn't even get on it because of her arthritis wouldn't give her enough mobility to climb over the seat. I got the Rhino which operates much the same as a car, and she has been able to get out in the yard and do yard work for the first time in several years, its just amazing to see the change given to her just by having the use of my Rhino.

You said about 100 hours so that rhino your looking at hasn't had that much use at all being a 2008 model. The 5 point seat belts are a must especially if you have kids that will be riding in the vehicle. The regular seat belts are fine for adults but the 5 point belts really help hold a smaller child in the seat a lot better. Buy a rhino and you'll never regret owning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement