My Duramax won't start. Help me guys?? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Off-Topic Discussions Sit back and relax with your fellow members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

My Duramax won't start. Help me guys??

Ok guys I've got a issue maybe you guys can help me with.

I have a 04 Duramax with only 40K miles. never had motor problems. I have the Edge programer on it since 2K miles.
I don't drive my truck every day because I have a work truck.

Up until just recently I have never had a Battery problem. My truck wouldn't hold a charge about 3 months ago. So I took my ruck to the chevy dealer and the ran some test on it and told me my 2 stock batteries were shot. They told me to replace them myself and I will save about $200.00 so I did. I bought 2 batteries from Costco and the truck batteries worked for about a month. Then wouldn't hold a charge for over 3 days of sitting.
I took the batteries back to Costco and they replaced both of them for free.

Now the truck has been sitting for about another month straight and never started. Of course both of my batteries are dead again. I went down and bought a brand new battery charger and charged both batteries completly. My truck wont start now with charged batteries.

Right now it cranks over fine almost too fast with the charger still hooked to one battery. What it will do is fire up for about 1 second and instantly shut off. If I try and give it gas it won't fire up at all. but if I don't touch the gas pedal it will fire up for a second and instantly shut down again.
I tried priming the fuel pump (right ontop of the fuel filter) and then going back and starting it but the same thing keeps happening.

I do notice that my alarm button wont work...kinda seems like the batteries still arn't doing there entire job??

What do you guys suggest??
I'm thinking of taking back these batteries and getting new ones , maybe these just don't hold a steady charge to keep the electrical running. Can something maybe wrong with my fuel injectors from sittting too long?

Thanks to all the hard work from Todd at www.151fab.com for building my rhino!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Sell it and buy a ford!!!! J/K...Did you check to make sure there was no corrision on the terminals???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJim View Post
Sell it and buy a ford!!!! J/K...Did you check to make sure there was no corrision on the terminals???
Why did I know I was going to get a lot of "should of bought a Ford jokes"
Yes, The are Great connections. The batteries look brand new and pretty much are. The battery wires look great too.
It turns over perfect and fast now that I put a 2amp charge on them for a day. It just won't stay running. It almost seems like , when you build a motor and it fires up for the first time but won't get enough gas to the carbs. Once it fires it revs up a little and instantly shuts down....know matter how many times I pump the gas to try and save it , it just shuts down.

post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stetler View Post
Yes, The are Great connections. The batteries look brand new and pretty much are. The battery wires look great too.
It turns over perfect and fast now that I put a 2amp charge on them for a day. It just won't stay running. It almost seems like , when you build a motor and it fires up for the first time but won't get enough gas to the carbs. Once it fires it revs up a little and instantly shuts down....know matter how many times I pump the gas to try and save it , it just shuts down.
Ya know...You may think about disconnecting the battery for a minute or two....Maybe the computer needs reset??? I think I would try that first.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Because that's the nature of all us guys with wrenches stuck in their back pockets. It was my first thought too

Have you done any wiring 'upgrades' to the truck? Like HIDs on it, etc.? How about your fifth wheel / trailer plugs. Are they all solid and not shorting to ground, draining the batts?
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Wide F'n Open

Do the chevy's have a fuel reset switch up under the passenger side dash?
post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
Do the chevy's have a fuel reset switch up under the passenger side dash?
Haven't ever heard of that

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Haven't ever heard of that
Yeah... the Ford's got em' dont know if anyone else does

Pro-One GlasslHRT 2-seaterlPRP 4-point harnesslPRP High BackslDRD dualslDRD fuel management
Machined sheavelDynateck ECUlXMF +6l2-4" 3-7" HID's
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
Because that's the nature of all us guys with wrenches stuck in their back pockets. It was my first thought too

Have you done any wiring 'upgrades' to the truck? Like HIDs on it, etc.? How about your fifth wheel / trailer plugs. Are they all solid and not shorting to ground, draining the batts?
No 5er wiring, I do have HID headlight conversions, full cop strobes in the headlight and tail light lens, and a DVD head unit...BUT all of that has been installed for over 35K miles and never a problem.

I do know that no battery should go dead from just sitting for a few days or even a week. I know I have something draining some power somewhere. It just pisses me off that the dealer ran all the test and never found a problem except bad batteries. O ya they charged me $140.00 to run the test and tell me I still need to buy batteries.
Man I sure hope I don't have to take it back there again for this issue

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Wide F'n Open

Did they test the Alt? diesels dont take much power to run.... maybe just runnin off the batteries the whole time?

Pro-One GlasslHRT 2-seaterlPRP 4-point harnesslPRP High BackslDRD dualslDRD fuel management
Machined sheavelDynateck ECUlXMF +6l2-4" 3-7" HID's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement