Those with Ebay HID kits...LOOK HERE!!! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Product Reviews Review products related to the Yamaha Rhino or general products used as part of side x side driving.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Those with Ebay HID kits...LOOK HERE!!!

Just wanted to share an experience with you all since I thought many of you have purchased these.

I purchased a set of HID's from "HIDdirect" or "supervtec" on ebay.....same guy. I installed the first set on the rotax rhino I had and they worked fine. Sold it to Jlinracing20 and havent heard him complain about them.

Bought another set from the same guy for my dad for his birthday this past August. We installed them and they have worked fine for the most part. Every so often you would have to turn the lights on and off a couple times to get both lights on.

So last month both sides quit working at the same time. Im thinking it would be really odd if both bulbs OR ballasts went bad at the same time! So we check it out, and BOTH ballasts have crapped out! So I email the so called "warranty dept." and they sent this:

How do I claim my warranty ?
After confirm the part is defective (Please refer to technical Section), there are 2 method getting your part replaced.
METHOD #1
If you want to USE our Express replacement service, you can place a refundable deposit in the following amount
$14 for one bulb
$16 for one ballast
The deposit will be made to" [email protected] " with a valid shipping address Please click HERE for direction on how to send the payment via paypal
When sending the deposit please include the following
EBAY ID (Required if purchase through ebay):
*PAYMENT EMAIL:
*NAME ON THE PAYMENT:
ITEM NUMBER (Required if purchase through ebay):
*BULB TYPE:
*COLOR TEMPERTURE (Give is the code on the bulb wire):
*DATE PURCHASED:
CONTACT PHONE NUMBER:
*SHIPPING ADDRESS
*THE CODE ON THE STICKER ON THE WIRE OF THE BULB(if any):
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM:
"*" Required Field
Make sure if you send the defective part back to us for deposit refund, please send the defective part with a valid tracking number and the required information above, and your deposit will be refunded immediately when we confirmed the delivery of your package.

OK, that doesnt work for me....because I dont see why I am paying him money to replace a warrantied item! So I tell him I will send my ballasts back and just want them to verify they are failed and send out new ballasts. he sends this:

How do I send depossit directly with paypal
Click on “ SEND MONEY” the second tab from the left on the top
In the “ To” field enter “ [email protected] “
In the “ AMOUNT “ Enter the amount we agreed on
In the currency drop down menu, select USD-U.S. Dollars
In the For Field, select “ GOODS “
Verify the information in the next page is all correct, and make sure you specify a “ VALID AND CONFIRMED SHIPPING ADDRESS “
In the “ SUBJECT “ field, please clearly states what the payment is for
In the “ MESSAGE “ field, please clearly state the detail for the payment, and what is for
Click on “ SEND MONEY “
Confirm that the money has been sent by clicking on “MY ACCOUNT” and the amount you just send had been debited on your Paypal account

Once again, I explain to this idiot that I have been using paypal for quite some years and have no problems sending money. BUT I again tell him I am NOT sending him money for bad parts! Plain and simple! I go on to tell him he needs to give me a customer service phone number and an address to send these items back to for inspection and replacement. FINALLY I get this:

METHOD #2

I am sorry about the defective
Please send the defective part to
please send the bulbs and wires

You can send it to

Pete L
PO BOX 91832
City of industry, ca 91715
Make sure you include the following information with the package
EBAY ID (Required if purchase through ebay):
*PAYMENT EMAIL:
*NAME ON THE PAYMENT:
ITEM NUMBER (Required if purchase through ebay):
*BULB TYPE:
*COLOR TEMPERTURE:
*DATE PURCHASED:
CONTACT PHONE NUMBER:
*SHIPPING ADDRESS
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM: (If is a return for deposit refund, please state)
"*" Required Field
Make sure you send the defective part with a valid tracking number and the required information mentioned above, and your part will be send immediately when we confirmed the delivery of your package.

So I send them back....to Pete L......cant even show you his last name???? Anyway, about a week later I get the package back! I call my dad......who keep in mind hasnt been able to ride for like a month now, and I let him know his lights are in! He comes by and opens them and says.....HEY....these arent new! I check them out and they apparently are someone elses used ballasts.....still have the 2-sided tape on the bottom!

Well, we hooked them up and one side is already acting funny....not wanting to come on everytime. But they work so far. I think its bogus he sent someone elses used pieces when we all know these are cheap products.....why not send out a new pair and keep the customers coming back!! Oh well, too late now!

Also, this guy tries VERY hard to stay hidden, using PO boxes and never sending a phone number........pretty shady if you ask me. He also takes 3-4 days to respond to emails.....guess the warranty dept. is busy LOL!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant......but i wanted anyone considering going to cheap route on the HID kits to know what was in store for them. I am sure many people have kits that have been on for a long time with no issues, but if you do.....the customer service leaves a lot to be desired!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM
Founding Ninja

Thats a long post...........nedless to say, how many fuckin hoops do you need to jump through to geta f'n warranty? This is why I dont buy from Ebay!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Follow the Underground on Twitter
http://twitter.com/UTVUnderground#/UTVUnderground
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM
jws
Wide F'n Open

I have the same lights. When I can get them to fire they work great but it does take a few tries. For $70 I guess you get what you pay for..........

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Founding Ninja

could it be your switch causing them not to fire? What if you put each light on its own switch?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Follow the Underground on Twitter
http://twitter.com/UTVUnderground#/UTVUnderground
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 AM
ljb
Wide F'n Open

I bought 2 of these sets from supervtec -
the first set I installed on my Raptor a year and a half ago - they have never misfired and work perfectly every time - I did wire them through a relay though.

The second set I installed on my Rhino, and got about 4 months worth of service out of them, then they both died. I opened up the ballasts and both were broke. I tossed them in the trash. The bubs were fine, just the ballasts were shot.

I was turned on to dirtlights.com and ordered a set from him, he warentees the stuff for 18 months and apparently epoxy's the boards to keep them from breaking. So far, they have worked flawlessly.

I never did contact supervtec about a warentee or replacement, I figured for the 80 bux I spent, it was kinda a "toss when done" product since it wasn't really a manufactures defect, it was just a cheap part that broke IMHO.

The set from Dirtlights.com is about twice as much, but it does come with the whole wire harness including the relay and the clips to hold the bulbs in, so you don't have to chop up your stock stuff.

At this point, I'm a happy camper with the HID's - I hope both sets keep working. But the looks of the boards in these things, they are not really designed to take vibration/abuse.

ALSO - when I ordered the first set, I got it right away - City of Industry is one day away by mail. When I ordered the second set, I didn't get anything from him for a few days. I emailed him, no response..... finally got the product and then he emailed my a couple of days later. Like VteGSR95 said, its funny how he hides his identity by not listing his last name and using po boxes, and doesn't really communicate with the customer very well.
JWS said you get what you pay for, and that might very well be true in this instance.

08 700 SE
XMF LT
HID's
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
jws
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD23 View Post
could it be your switch causing them not to fire? What if you put each light on its own switch?
I have them ran on my stock light switch wired on the high beem side. I added a relay thinking that would help but it still takes a few tries to get them to fire. ive put over 2000 miles on with them so I figure I got my $70 worth.........
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Wide F'n Open

Every HID conversion kit Ive done for myself or friends I use a relay & up sized wiring. Voltage drop is death in cheap chinese HID kits.

Done about a dozen so far with fingers crossed.

One other thing is Im not a big fan of converting the stock headlights, reason is they are the back up lighting system should any added after market lighting fail due to a roll, crash, or just being a cheap bastard and buying Chinese HID conversion kits.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Have to say I agree with dnf736.....sucks when you convert and they crap out! My dad was complaining for quite a while!

I hooked his up for him, and we dud use I believe 10 guage wire and a relay, so no worries about that being an issue.

Also, I did take one of the covers off, and it was completely full of epoxy or something! Whatever it was, it wouldnt come out of the housing!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
ljb
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by VteGSR95 View Post
Have to say I agree with dnf736.....sucks when you convert and they crap out! My dad was complaining for quite a while!

I hooked his up for him, and we dud use I believe 10 guage wire and a relay, so no worries about that being an issue.

Also, I did take one of the covers off, and it was completely full of epoxy or something! Whatever it was, it wouldnt come out of the housing!
to properly wire it, you should use a relay and heavy gage wire. Only use the factory wiring to trigger the relay. My balasts did NOT have any epoxy in them, and they were both cracked. Maybe he has started doing that now, or maybe the manufacture is doing it....

08 700 SE
XMF LT
HID's
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Founding Ninja

I have had my ebay ones for over a year now and they fire everytime, I connected the high beam wire to turn on relays to provide power.

sorry about the hassle, I can relate Frank, it sucks.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement