towing laws in california 2b inforced??? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Trucks, Trailers, Towing, and Hauling Discussions Trucks, trailers, towing, and hauling discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

towing laws in california 2b inforced???

I heard through the grapevine chp might be pulln everybody over who looks over 10k pounds on the bumper and over 15k pounds on a fifth wheel and impounding their rigs and checking for class A noncomercial licenses? anybody been pulled over yet? what happened...just wondering,cameron..

rhinos,cars,guns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Wide F'n Open

I'm covered went to DMV and got my NON Commercial (sorry Endorsement ck'ed my DL), just take the test. They can impound or you can get a buddy to move it for you that is Lic'nd, its all up to the Chippie. I find it funny that the Stealer never said anything about an endorsement to my Class C... OH ya you are good to go...

Last edited by SXSCustms; 09-03-2008 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Enjoying my Rhino

Is it possible to for someone with a naked eye to notice if the truck is overweight....to fully impound a truck...CHP would need to take the truck with trailer to a weight station.....or am I missing something??

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Wide F'n Open

Some carry portable scales., be careful of the ones with Dodge Pick Up they are the ones who do the truck inspections. I heard that if they see a triple axle you may get stopped.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Enjoying my Rhino

Didn't know CHP had portable scales...I guess my Kelderman Air ride system will pay off again, the CHP will never see my truck sag unless I want it too.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Wide F'n Open

Agree... I have a few Chippie customers that told me about the road side scales, they weigh each axle and do the math... I too run airbags so level is always good. The best policy is to drive safe and not to attract any attention, and get the endorsement.

Last edited by SXSCustms; 09-03-2008 at 12:50 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSCustms View Post
Agree... I have a few Chippie customers that told me about the road side scales, they weigh each axle and do the math... I too run airbags so level is always good. The best policy is to drive safe and not a track any attention, and get the Non Commercial it was easy, just a written.
So to get the non comerical you dont have to take a driving test?????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Wide F'n Open

Ive got an endorsed Class A so this is your problem suckas!

Pro-One GlasslHRT 2-seaterlPRP 4-point harnesslPRP High BackslDRD dualslDRD fuel management
Machined sheavelDynateck ECUlXMF +6l2-4" 3-7" HID's
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Enjoying my Rhino

Yes, you do need a take a behind the wheel test.This is info from the CA DMV website

How to apply for a noncommercial driver license

A noncommercial driver license is issued in the following two classes:

Noncommercial Class A
Noncommercial Class B
A Noncommercial Class A license is required if you tow:

a travel trailer weighing over 10,000 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) which is not used for hire.
a fifth-wheel travel trailer weighting over 15,000 lbs. GVWR which is not used for hire.
a livestock trailer that is not for hire, weight over 10,000 lbs. GVWR but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, and is operated within 150 miles of the farm by a farmer to transport livestock.
A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes.

Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver permit
To apply for a Noncommercial Class A permit, you must:

Visit a DMV office (make an Appointment(s) for faster service)
Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application form (DL 44C). (An original DL 44C form must be submitted. Copies are not acceptable.)
Give a thumb print
Have your picture taken
Verify your birth date and legal presence (you may use your California driver license). If your current name no longer matches the name on your birth date/legal presence document, see "True Full Name" and "How to Change Your Name" for more information. Provide your true full name if your name no longer matches the name on your birth data legal presence document."
Pay the application fee
Pass a vision exam
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
Pass the traffic laws and sign tests for the class of vehicle you currently have and also the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test
Note: To allow you sufficient time for testing DMV will not be administering written or audio exams after 4:30 p.m.

Once you have completed these requirements, you will be issued a permit. You can only drive with a person who has a California driver license in the same class as your permit and meets the age requirements.

Requirements for a Noncommercial Class A driver license
To obtain a Noncommercial Class A license you must:

Have completed all the requirements for a Noncommercial Class A permit
Call a DMV CDL office and make an appointment for a driving test (Cannot be made for the same day) (Noncommercial Class A driving test appointments cannot be made online)
Bring the Noncommercial Class A vehicle with you
Pass a pre-trip inspection
Pass a skills test
Pass a driving test
After you pass your driving test, you will be issued an interim license valid until you receive your new photo license in the mail. Verify your address before you leave DMV. Notify the DMV representative if you have moved or if your address is incorrect. If you have not received your photo license within 60 days, call 1-800-777-0133 to check the status. You will need to provide information from your interim license.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Wide F'n Open

When I took mine a few years ago there was no driving test... I guess I got lucky. I told the lady at DMV it was for towing my 5th wheel, its not for comercial use.

DMV Hand Book for RV http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

Here is what I have... Recreational Endorsment page 11.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf

The sticker on the back of my DL says "May tow Fifth-wheel recreational trailer between 10,001 and 15,000 pound GVWR.

Im good...

Last edited by SXSCustms; 09-03-2008 at 12:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement