Whiplash Snowflake - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
UTV Desert Racing Discussions pertaining to UTV desert racing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

Whiplash Snowflake

I hear Dustin won again. Congrats!!! Any other results info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Founding Ninja

jagged-x stock rzr second and Justin third.

Was waiting to see if the Lawndart Mr. O, finished or not! LOL

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj View Post
jagged-x stock rzr second and Justin third.

Was waiting to see if the Lawndart Mr. O, finished or not! LOL
I was told by Todd Jespersen, the winner of the Stock class that the JaggedX car was a new stock RZR-S model. They ran it in the Baja Class or Pro-mod. Now that RZR has come out with a "Stock" MT/LT out of the crate RZR. What's that going to do to the "Stock" class rule books? I think it was cool of JaggedX to recognize that and run it in a mod class.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makin' Trax View Post
I was told by Todd Jespersen, the winner of the Stock class that the JaggedX car was a new stock RZR-S model. They ran it in the Baja Class or Pro-mod. Now that RZR has come out with a "Stock" MT/LT out of the crate RZR. What's that going to do to the "Stock" class rule books? I think it was cool of JaggedX to recognize that and run it in a mod class.
I agree,way to take advantage! Yamaha should be doing that also with a +3 kit, maybe call it a Rhino RS!

Rog

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
I was wondering why they had fox shocks on there, now it makes sense. That is what poolaris puts on there.

Snowflake proved to be a tough course for a lot. Dustin was really hyped about his new 686 motor from Alba. After the first lap he was way into the Baja class cars. It was wat fast off the line, and with the PDM clutch proved way more reliable than the monster (most are 760s or bigger) motor cars that ALL broke. There are broken belts all over the place out there. Wyman broke a rear diff, Mr.O couldn't keep a belt in it, the infamous So Cal Fab rhino had electrical issues and a broken lower rear a-arm, don't know what happened to Bobby??

136 miles is a long race. This I get, 11 min corr races I don't.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:05 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcourt View Post
I was wondering why they had fox shocks on there, now it makes sense. That is what poolaris puts on there.

Snowflake proved to be a tough course for a lot. Dustin was really hyped about his new 686 motor from Alba. After the first lap he was way into the Baja class cars. It was wat fast off the line, and with the PDM clutch proved way more reliable than the monster (most are 760s or bigger) motor cars that ALL broke. There are broken belts all over the place out there. Wyman broke a rear diff, Mr.O couldn't keep a belt in it, the infamous So Cal Fab rhino had electrical issues and a broken lower rear a-arm, don't know what happened to Bobby??

136 miles is a long race. This I get, 11 min corr races I don't.

The one thing that really bugs me about corr is the mandatory caution, wtf is that all about? Why race your ass off to gain a lead and then let everyone catch back up to start over. Might as weel hang back until the caution and then race, saves your stuff.

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by max powers View Post
The one thing that really bugs me about corr is the mandatory caution, wtf is that all about? Why race your ass off to gain a lead and then let everyone catch back up to start over. Might as weel hang back until the caution and then race, saves your stuff.
You know why, gate totals. Caution causes tight racing and wrecks and that' what the fans come for, well most of them.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj View Post
I agree,way to take advantage! Yamaha should be doing that also with a +3 kit, maybe call it a Rhino RS!

Rog
If promoters would start a new class called "Factory Super Stocks" it may force Yamaha's hand into stepping up to the plate. The class would be for Factory stock/mod cars with no greater mods than the factory specs. That would allow guy's to mod but only to a point. The factories would be more interested in factory support and those models would have a class to race in that's fair to the stock guys. What do you think?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
If promoters would start a new class called "Factory Super Stocks" it may force Yamaha's hand into stepping up to the plate. The class would be for Factory stock/mod cars with no greater mods than the factory specs. That would allow guy's to mod but only to a point. The factories would be more interested in factory support and those models would have a class to race in that's fair to the stock guys. What do you think?
That seems very fair, still would have an issue with cc's though I guess.

The RZR and Teryx are way faster stock, than the anemic rhino.

Rog

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Wide F'n Open

Thanks guys. Congrats to all the winners!

1st Overall two years in a row. I am still amped from the race. Just got back in town last night and been working on my computer to get the video done. Lost a hard drive a few weeks ago. I will have the video shortly.

As usual Snowflake didn't dissapoint. Great track. The extra large water breaks (small jumps) this year were great. There were 55 UTV's this year. Last year there were 56, but quite a few were China buggies. We left the line 2nd for the Pro Mod class after the Baja Pro class went off. I think I counted 18 of them so we had our work cut out for us with the dust on the first lap. The new Alba motor ran awesome and allowed us to catch the first car as well as two of the Baja class cars in the first 3 minutes. We got our previous cooling issues worked out and our temp was 175 the entire race and didn't have to baby it. We finished 11 minutes ahead of the rest of the cars and did a lot of passing. We shaved 27 minutes off last years time with 5 laps (136 miles) in 3hrs 2min. By lap 3 we were lapping stock class and Sport Mod class cars. I think you guys are going to like the video. There was some light rain just like last year that decreased the dust, but then it was difficult to keep the lenses clean. The previous days rain also produced quite a few muddy corners to slide out on and provide some more obstacles. On one of the corners we almost did a complete 180 when it caught me and spun me around. We never really knew how we were position wise our radio must have gotten wet and all we could here was static. On lap 4, I was pushing a little harder and we almost endoed on a water break when we hit it at 50+ mph. When we came through the scoring shute to start lap 5 we had a pretty good idea we were running close to first as they did not give us a white flag.

I would like to thank my wife, pit crew and co-driver. Also like to thank AzCourt for bringing up a last minute delivery and helping in the pits. You guys don't know how much you are appreciated.

Also like to thank my sponsors Alba Action Sports, PDM, Lone Star Racing, A and M Powdercoating. Without these guys I would not be competing at this level. Our suspension was working great. Ran the whole race without any belt issues and A and M keeps the car looking good.

Here are some pics of the results and a some in car footage. The footage is a little ruff. My camera is now dead. The sound gets a little better as the time goes by. It is 1.5hrs and 141M

#70 in car Cam Snowflake 08

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
2008 Pro Mod and Overall UTV Champion
Snowflake 2007 & 2008 Overall Champion
Alba Racing 686, PDM clutch, LSR XTR[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement