Whiplash Vulture Mine 150 Results - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
UTV Desert Racing Discussions pertaining to UTV desert racing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Whiplash Vulture Mine 150 Results

I thought this Vulture Mine race was pretty good even though we didn't finish great. The whoops section was a little longer than they normally throw in there, but other than that it was totally what I exepected.

I do have to complain about the course markings as I am sure some others will agree. There is nothing like doing 50 down power line road when you see 3 other race vehicles closing on you head on. LOL. I radioed in and they said KEEP GOING!. Then I passed the other cars and started noticing there were no more course markings, but kept going all the way to the checkpoint on another part of the track where the guy was waving me off saying turn around . Then on the way back I almost had a head on with a Honda Pilot or Redline not sure which. I would like to know how many others did the same thing?

So I was running really good on the first lap. Went the wrong way that one time then caught Bviernow. He let me by without issue (thanks dude) I moved on and a few minutes later I see no more course markings. Now I am getting mad. I turned around thinking I missed another poorly marked turn and came head on with Brad. LOL He signaled turn back around that I am going the right way so I did. Thanks again dude! I take off again and maybe 2 miles from the finish line in the last sand wash I am like man this sand is weird. I had no control. I hit the last stretch of hard pack and definitely knew something was wrong. I also lost my brakes, but that is another story and thought it was unrelated. At this point lap times meant nothing. I went into this race with the class win sinched up and a 20 pt lead in the overall. My goal was to just finish. I roll into my pit and have them start checking out the car. I thought is was a flat or something. Turns out the driver rear wheel nut came off and the only thing holding the rear tire on the last 2 miles was the break caliper and rotor. Court tore it apart and ended up having to replace the outer axle stub/CV and the hub. They were both trashed. We zip tied the brake caliper out of the way and I was off on lap two. Thanks Court! The car was running strong and the brakes were working again. At mile 18 I started noticing a funny feeling in the steering wheel and marker 19 I lost steering. Turnes out you have to have bolts in the steering rack for it to work correctly. I cannot believe I didn't locktite them, but I loctite my wheel nuts too and already lost one of those. So I found one of the bolts, but did not have a socket to reinstall it. Note to self. Need to improve the on board tool kit. I got creative and used a couple screw drivers, zip ties and electrical tape to hold it back in there for the last 10 miles or so. Nothing was going to keep me from finishing the second lap. So after breaking down on both laps I turned a 1:21 on both of them. LOL We ended up getting 7th place out of 15 or so and took the overall by 4 points. Unoficially

I would like to thank all my sponsors, Lone Star Racing, Alba Action Sports, PDM, Amsoil. With out them I could not have done so well this season. My friends and family who helped in the pits this whole season. My wife for being so understanding and running crew chief.

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
2008 Pro Mod and Overall UTV Champion
Snowflake 2007 & 2008 Overall Champion
Alba Racing 686, PDM clutch, LSR XTR[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 11:26 PM

good job D
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks Dorian

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Great post Dustin, Great story! You need to e-mail this to the race promoters. lol

Congrats on the points win!!!

Benchmark Performance 760-484-0986
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
BYC Motorsports
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Wide F'n Open

Thanks for the write up D... congrats on the point win hommie!

NIIICE!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Congratz Dustin!

I heard from Dan Kelly that the course was marked very poorly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Wide F'n Open

congrats dustin...

futsa!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Way to go on the season overall/class victories D.!!!

Mad skills Bro.,,, I didn't think you were gonna be able to race this last round,,,, considering after last weeks dune trip your Rhino literally "Dressed to the left".

Pretty crazy considering that you "Never did any good" before. HEHE!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks guys! I was expecting to see you out there Karl? I completly forgot to mention that I got tangled up with another car as well. I was in a hurry when I wrote this and it was unitentional. After following the wrong course for a while and having to back track I was behind some of the Sport Mod class. I talked with the guy before the race. Very nice guy and I apologized to him afterwards. It was his first race. I came upon him and got on his bumper so he knew I was there because you can't hear our horns when at full throttle. He started to merge pretty quickly, but it was tight. He hit his brakes a little harder than I expected and rather than slam directly into him I tried to miss him. I Caught his rear tire and launch into the air landing my rear tire onto his and getting wedge together. It was quite a ride. As I am looking down into their cockpit from above them and both of us trying to get our cars apart I thought we were done. I was lightly nudging the throttle back and forth not wanting to tear our cars up and not finish the race. He on the other hand floored in reverse which was sucessful at separating us. I was lucky and drove away. He was not and flattened a tire. He decided to drive on it and completly lost the tire a while later. He then drove on it further I believe and took out a hub and somewhere along the way he broke some a suspension bolt. He left his car and hoofed it back to camp to drive a baja bug in the upcoming truck race. A good samaritan towed his Rhino back on three wheels and destroyed his lower a-arm as well as some other parts.

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70

Last edited by AzBdBy; 12-08-2008 at 10:03 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
1/4 Throttle

Hey dustin good job on the overall! I see Whiplash has a race in Jan. and heard it was for atv and bikes only do you know if that is correct?

Sponsors:
Get Bent Metal Works, Trophy Egineering, Goodyear Tires, Amsoil, Osiris Shoes, Skin Industries, Xcel Nutrition

Racer Profile: www.starvingracers.com/racer-rhinoracer241
Sponsored Links
Advertisement