Whiplash Stone Grinders UTV Night Race - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
UTV Desert Racing Discussions pertaining to UTV desert racing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Whiplash Stone Grinders UTV Night Race

This was a great race. They set up a 1.6 mile loop. Kind of a cross between short course and desert racing. This drew out some of the CORR racers for this event. It was a great turn out for being so hot. The race started at 7pm and ran for 2hrs so lights were required about half way through the race. In the first 3 laps it looked like half the field was down. There were cars everywhere. It seems that not too many made it without having some difficulties. I had to stop 5 or 6 times so my pit crew could hose down the radiator. Thought I had the leak fixed, but it popped back up about 30 minutes into the race. I realized I had and electrical problem when I hit my horn switch and all the lights went out and the Rhino started to shut down. I ended up turning everything off except two of my HID's and still could not keep the charging system above 11 volts. There was plenty of carnage on the track. One car caught on fire. The Redline UTV was getting some air off a jump and came down on one wheel and then cartwheeled. Looked like he tore off the a arms on one side in the back. DGP Photo got some pics of the beginnings of the crash as well as some awesome shots throughout the race. Check out their website in a coupls days and they will have them all uploaded. Dan Kelly lost temporary control of his ride and ran off into a raveen and no one saw him. Many people rolled their rides. I have video of the second place finisher in Sport Mod (Brad Viernow) on two wheels when I was behind him in a corner. I guess he put it on its lid somewhere else on the course. There was about a 75yd stretch of white powder that you could not see through later in the race after the track started to dry out. It was dark and dusty. I had to almost stop several times as I entered it. It was the entrance back into the mountain area and didn't want to hit a wall. Justin Sheakley did just that. He hit one of the canyon walls as he flew through the dust blinded and flipped his Rhino. I was running an in car cam and will try to post some video later after I get it uploaded.

I would like to thank all my sponsors UTV Powersports, Lone Star Racing, A and M Powder Coating and PDM for their support. The PDM clutch ran flawless again. This was the third race on the same belt. I would also like to thank my wife (crew chief) and all my pit crew for their help and being ready when I come in for something.

Congratulations to all the winners

Baja Pro
1. Ray Aycox
2. Robert Vanbekum
3. Matt Kimmerle

Sport Mod

1. ?
2. Brad Viernow
3. Jan Pora

Pro Mod

1. Dustin Dixon
2. Shawn Askamit
3. Cameron Bishop

I would like to also send some shout outs to some racers. Glad to see you back at the track Jan. Good job on the finishes to all you guys. I had some great times out there. This was an awesome track to race. Starting in daylight and finishing at night just made it better. I had a great time dicing it up with you Ray. You made me push the Rhino to the point the brake fluid boiled and I lost them for a couple laps until they cooled back down. I also diced it up with Danny Flower for a little while. Great racing. I would also like to give props to some of the stock class racers out there. It has to be a little unnerving when some of the faster cars fly up on you so quick. All the guys I encountered held their lines and made room as to not slow the faster cars down.

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
2008 Pro Mod and Overall UTV Champion
Snowflake 2007 & 2008 Overall Champion
Alba Racing 686, PDM clutch, LSR XTR[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

nice report, thanks dustin

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Founding Ninja

congrats to the podium finishers and great report Dustin.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks guys. Here is a snippet of video from my in car camera. I will try to get some more rendered in the next couple days. The video doesn't do it justice. When I finally make the pass at the end of the clip we are doing 50+mph.

Video

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:11 AM
1/2 Throttle

What a great race it was. All new experience for me. Racing with a second driver & only one light. Now I know why those big light bars are needed. With out light you can't drive fast. All of the racers on the track had great respect for the other racers. When approched from behind some of them even left the track to let you pass. Two hrs of racing! I have a new respect for all of these drivers that enter these long ass desert races. I have to thank the Wellers & Induced for preping my car on Thuresday & getting me to the finish. Great job Racers. See you in Snow Flake.
P.S. Who said them big stocker motors will not run in 112deg for two hrs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBONTHIS View Post
What a great race it was. All new experience for me. Racing with a second driver & only one light. Now I know why those big light bars are needed. With out light you can't drive fast. All of the racers on the track had great respect for the other racers. When approched from behind some of them even left the track to let you pass. Two hrs of racing! I have a new respect for all of these drivers that enter these long ass desert races. I have to thank the Wellers & Induced for preping my car on Thuresday & getting me to the finish. Great job Racers. See you in Snow Flake.
P.S. Who said them big stocker motors will not run in 112deg for two hrs.
How much fuel do you guys burn in one of those races, and how many laps does it end up being after two hours?

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07fj View Post
How much fuel do you guys burn in one of those races, and how many laps does it end up being after two hours?

Rog
I stoped twice to fill. About 6 to 7 gal. Less then I thought. I think 25+ laps. We had light the first hr then darkness the second hr. It was very exhasting. I seen at least 8 cars on there top or side through out the race.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Founding Ninja

That race was awesome! I blew a rear axle on one side and a rear CV on the other. I still managed to place after rolling the rhino on its lid (thanks to the two kids that helped me roll it back over). The track was very muddy at first, puddles of water were everywhere.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Founding Ninja

Congrats Dustin, you sur keep kickin ass! Kool vid, my boy loved it, so did I

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks Dorian

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70