Heading to Big Bear (Fawnskin) next Month - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Western Region The Western Region includes the following States:

Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Heading to Big Bear (Fawnskin) next Month

I'll let you know how it was....looking forward to this trip. I hope it's as good as I think it'll be.

Googlemaps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Bear.jpg (94.0 KB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 AM
Founding Ninja

Cool ! Keep us posted with pics too ,

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Wide F'n Open

I actually rode up there yesterday...tell me when you go-you can bring those pro-one doors and I can meet up with you.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Roger, did you ride on the Fawnskin side (north I think)? Any pointers? Going up there with the wife for our anniversary. She keeps telling her friends I'm taking her up to the "Stabbing Cabin" ......in some ways that might be true (going to have to call the Doc for some performance meds!), but I want to make sure I know where I'm going so she has a good time.

If you want me to bring a set of door up, let me know and I can do that and save you about $50 in shipping. I only have a couple sets left and they're for the 2007-08 Rhino.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSandToys View Post
Roger, did you ride on the Fawnskin side (north I think)? Any pointers? Going up there with the wife for our anniversary. She keeps telling her friends I'm taking her up to the "Stabbing Cabin" ......in some ways that might be true (going to have to call the Doc for some performance meds!), but I want to make sure I know where I'm going so she has a good time.

If you want me to bring a set of door up, let me know and I can do that and save you about $50 in shipping. I only have a couple sets left and they're for the 2007-08 Rhino.
We started on the North side of the mountain from HWY18 off of High RD. Ended up going about 15 miles up to big pine flat campground I think it was called, but it looked like the road down to fawnskin was closed so we turned around and went back. BRING A SPARE TIRE. We did it last weekend and got a flat on the top of the mountain and had to limp back down the mountain. (no fun) When you planing on going?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Leaving next Sun morning (11th) and coming home Tue night. I'm bringing a lot of spare stuff! Front tire and a the Co2 bottle I sell with a plug and sidewall kit. We should be OK. I'm bringing one of the SPOT GPS transmitters too....want to check that out and see how it works. Have a bunch of my friends emails plugged into it so they can watch where I am on Google Sat maps. Should be pretty cool.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSandToys View Post
Leaving next Sun morning (11th) and coming home Tue night. I'm bringing a lot of spare stuff! Front tire and a the Co2 bottle I sell with a plug and sidewall kit. We should be OK. I'm bringing one of the SPOT GPS transmitters too....want to check that out and see how it works. Have a bunch of my friends emails plugged into it so they can watch where I am on Google Sat maps. Should be pretty cool.
Where you camping? I'd love to cruise with some other people up there...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger v View Post
Where you camping? I'd love to cruise with some other people up there...
We're staying in a cabin up in Fawnskin.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm up at Big Bear (Fawnskin side) and am disapointed. There's some awesome fire roads that are a blast to motor around on in the forest....but it's for street legal only. There's entry points all over Fawnskin that go back for miles into the mountains. I went and talked to one of the rangers and was told you have to trailer any green stickered vehicle 13 miles to where the OHV trails are. So we loaded up the Rhino and took the fire roads towards Pine Flats.....I lasted about 3 miles on that road before pulling over and unloading the Rhino. The road is terrible and my truck and trailer were taking a beating.

So we started heading the rest of the miles in the Rhino, crossing my fingers that a ranger wasn't going to see us. As we got closer to the area where green stickers are allowed to ride, the forest is gone....all burned out. The road was terrible...I don't see how they think a truck and trailer can get back there. I would have taken HOURS to get there and back. When we finally arrived in the area, the signage was so confusing we just gave up. You'd see signs showing the trail was legal for OHV's and then 15' further a big sign saying OHV are not allowed on the trail.

We ended up turning back around and headed back to the truck....the fire roads are awesome to ride through with the forest all around, but always wondering if a ranger was going to be around the corner ruined the fun. There are miles of these roads branching off in all directions, but we just headed back to the truck.

Why they don't open these fire roads to green stickered vehicles amazes me....

I did talk to a local who told us that the Rangers are done at around 4pm every day and it's safe to run around out there after 4pm.

If only we could get CA plates.......what a blast that would be. I'd come up here once a month. As it is now.....I wont come back. If you have a street legal OHV like an XR400 or something similar....you'll have a blast up here. I have a great cabin I can recommend.

I'll post pics when I get back.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement