Stereo on a budget - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Electrical Discussions Yamaha Rhino electrical discussions.
Lighting, audio, GPS, communications, etc.
Maintenance, cleaning, etc.
Off-topic posts should be put in the Off-Topic Forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

Stereo on a budget

Some of you may have seen this post before on another form, but I wanted to throw out my stereo install I did to run off an MP3 player such as an IPOD. I searched for the best fitting amp I could find for the glove box, at least without ordering. I finally settled on this "Crunch" (rated 200 watts x 2), probably like 70 watts x 2 RMS. Nothing special, but its more than enough for the two 6.5" Polk Audio speakers I decided on. These Polks are great. Rubber surrounds and moisture/dust resistant and it looks like they built in a passive x-over from the tweet and mid. For not being a component speaker they are great. I had to get creative on their placement and how to enclose them. Don't laugh but I placed them under the dash and used two stainless dog food bowls to enclose them, ya ha ha ha. I went a little overboard and sealed with black RTV high temp silicon to keep out water and painted them flat black. This thing actually sounds pretty damn good for two 6.5's. I am very happy. I am in it for $252.00 for the speakers, amp, amp wiring kit, connectors, silicon, dog food bowls, RCA cable, amp turn on switch. The IPOD Was and old Mini I already had. Here are some pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers and IPOD1.jpg (79.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Speakers and IPOD.jpg (43.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Amp to IPOD.jpg (87.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Polks.jpg (37.5 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by mosslager; 06-25-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Founding Ninja

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:10 AM

LOOK AT THIS GUY WITH DOG BOWLS!

jk looks great...super clean. good job.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

why is that dam dog always licking the side of my Rhino f'n dog

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Wide F'n Open

Woof Woof.... :P nice speaker baffles. are the backs pretty rigid?
Keep an eye on the amplifier. Heat rises and it's supposed to rise into the heatsink (the top of the amp) and then disipate to keep the board(bottom of amp) and output transisters cool. In your case, the heatsink is the lowest part so your putting the heat back into the board. Just listen for sounds like clipping (breaking up like a bad radio station) or thermaling (shutting off). Also, because you don't have any airflow across it, but you could cut a small hole and add a fan to the side of the glove box????
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:59 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

They sell plastic speaker baffles at PEP Boys for $8.00 thatll fit those speakers....in case you want to lighten up...

If you live in Vegas and need a General Contractor...call Manning Construction @ 497-5127
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

I am real happy with the sound. Everyone who hears it laughs after I show the bowls to them. I haven't had any heat issues yet with the amp. I was kinda hoping it would go out so I could justify getting a 4 channel I found in Crutchfield. I'd like to add a console with a sub in it to finish it off but these two Polks are going strong so I have no reason to change them out. Plus where they are mounted they are outta the way from getting kicked.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:05 AM
CommanderTalk.com

That is great

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
1/4 Throttle

I built this speaker bar out of MDF. It sounds okay, but really needs more punch. I was skeptical about how well it would hold up in the unpredictable climate I live in. It was put to the test when I got caught out on a ride where it literally rained for three days and it seemed to have no adverse effect on the box or the speakers. I'm going to scrap it and build one for some 6 X 9's because I don't want to add a sub.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinohio View Post
I built this speaker bar out of MDF. It sounds okay, but really needs more punch. I was skeptical about how well it would hold up in the unpredictable climate I live in. It was put to the test when I got caught out on a ride where it literally rained for three days and it seemed to have no adverse effect on the box or the speakers. I'm going to scrap it and build one for some 6 X 9's because I don't want to add a sub.

mdf is about the heaviest material ever... cool tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement