Rotax guys.......Thoughts.....Opinions??? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Engine Swap Discussions Yamaha Rhino engine swap discussions.
Rotax swap, R1 swap, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Rotax guys.......Thoughts.....Opinions???

I am in the middle of a new home purchase, and pending the home inspection we are settled on a deal! The house has 5 acres which isnt much, but its got a creek and plenty of other fun places to ride! So I am considering my options now, and once the transaction is complete, I may start a new project!

I am wondering from those who have done swaps......what do you think is the top dollar you would pay for a rotax donor? Here is what I come up with so far:

I know I can find leftover 08 models for $7500+tax

I can buy my uncle's......from Wisconsin......mint condition 06 outty for $5500. Has 2600 miles, but has ONLY been ridden in the winter. He said the air filter has never been replaced and looks like the day he bought it! He is super anal and will not ride it if there is a chance of anything getting on it other than snow!

I know of a wrecked one for $1000, but the ECM and harness are trashed. ECM from BRP is almost $1000! Not sure if any other hidden damage......going by what the seller telling me!

Other than that, I know the parts from Jay were like $1500-$2000 IIRC, but would need to double check.

Then the questions is what Rhino to use? Is it worth going after a newer one like 08+? Is there any benefit to it as far as swapping? Can you use the EFI rhino pump or is there really no benefit aside from the brakes and other minor changes???

Any thoughts are welcome!

frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

used rhino's are real cheap right now, especially 450's
Sounds like your uncles is a good deal, sell all the other stuff and get some$$ back. MRRPM says he willxbuy any left over quad parts.

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by max powers View Post
Sounds like your uncles is a good deal, sell all the other stuff and get some$$ back. MRRPM says he willxbuy any left over quad parts.
Yea....what he said

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:41 PM
1/2 Throttle

you will be able to get more $ for the 700efi motor since there isnt that many of them out there. you can buy 660's all day long.
I have seen some stock 08's going for 7500-8k.
sell the motor and intake ecu for about 3-3.5k? and then go from there.

Cant we all get along? lol
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:08 PM
LBR
Administrator

Hi Frank - you have one of the best handles on this swap of anyone here after what you had been thru with your swap - bought my 06 outty as a bank repo, 1100+ miles, great runner....for $4052.00. My suggestion to ANYONE reading this who has intentions of purchasing a used Canam is this::::::::::make the purchase contingent upon your approval after a dealer downloads the ECM data...for anyone who is not aware, you can see everything that bike has been thru riding-wise plus with your physical inspection will all add up to the $$$ worth to you. On mine, the RPMs were segregated into about 6 columns with the % of use in each column.....same for the speedometer. Mine had a broken speedo button (very common) and would not even trip using a magnet, so I bought it not even knowing hours/miles etc. Found out most it's life was lower RPM, lower speed (muddy + gun rack = hunter), what and when the error codes were, dealer resetting of service light, repair and so on. Just like auto diagnostics. Is it worth a trip to the dealer and some $$$ to find out that the brand new looking machine your going to buy has had 68.5% of it's life @ 6500RPM? Would be to me. The door wouldn't slap my ass running from that perfect looking machine!!!!!LBR
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max powers View Post

Sidenote here - you guys with RUNNING Rhintaxs, unlike mine, would the gear ratio of the 450 and a Rotax get along? Would cut topend a little or a lot? What is the ratio of the 450 vs. 660 vs. 700?? just a thought maybe the 450 would need some fair-tall tires for more top end? LBR
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBR View Post
Sidenote here - you guys with RUNNING Rhintaxs, unlike mine, would the gear ratio of the 450 and a Rotax get along? Would cut topend a little or a lot? What is the ratio of the 450 vs. 660 vs. 700?? just a thought maybe the 450 would need some fair-tall tires for more top end? LBR
the diffs are the same on all the units i think. you are not using the stock yama cvt

Cant we all get along? lol
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBR View Post
I think thundersone has a swapped 450

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Wide F'n Open

Personally if I were to do it again I would go with the 450 must cheaper machine and you are not going to use the motor anyway. I would have done more of the work myself. But i am a happy camper with my machine now Still have a few bugs but they go away one by one Ol T here is thinkin turbo now

Stock SE
Never out grew the sand box...
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Well, at this point.....any real consideration has been going towards my uncles ATV knowing how anal he is about his machines. My other uncle rides with him all the time and says that its really hard to tell it from a new machine! He makes jokes about how Bill (uncle with the can-am) almost had a stroke because he brought it in for service and they left it outside afterwards! Apparently he flew off the handle about it and they keep it inside at all times now LOL!!

About the other items.....I feel that since the chassis has only seen snow and is always cleaned afterward, the leftover items should hold good value.

I agree with KJ about the 700 engine being worth more......so many 660 guys doing the swap has raised the supply and the demand has surely went down especially with the economy in its current state.

My thoughts about a 450 are that although I MIGHT be able to got one a little cheaper, what would the difference be between the money I save on it and the extra I would make on selling the 700 engine swap as opposed to the 450 engine swap?

If I remember correctly, the gearing on the diff's are the same on the old/newer rhino's? I thought it was the transmission gearing that had changed??

Can anyone verify if the 700 EFI pump/tank will be compatible at all with the can-am system? I was thinking if the pumps run similar PSI it shouyld be fine?

Any changes in the frames that would make the install kits not work properly?

Anyone think the "bigger and better" 08+ rhino radiator would be sufficient for the can-am motor here in Illinois??

Any other thought are welcome as well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement