Rotax Exaust Ideas - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Engine Swap Discussions Yamaha Rhino engine swap discussions.
Rotax swap, R1 swap, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
LBR
Administrator

Rotax Exaust Ideas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would like you swapper's input on the exaust for these cars - the does and dont's in your opinions - am having a shop fab up my exaust very soon for me and could use your professional opinions - it's an 06 660 - the front cylinder header will wrap around on the passenger side. Sounds like it will end up being a 2-1-2 dual muffler system with an O2 bung etc. 1) What is the best height/level to run at to keep from overheating the CVT cover, intake ductwork for the CVT, the factory Rhino plastics and any other heat senstitive items? 2) How far away from the engine/head should it be? All pics I've seen have been shot at a down angle and hard to see at what level the pipe actually is. 3) How will this routing of the pipe interface with the future change of higher performance intake to either the 09 intake or a "side-draft" style like Controlled Forces? 4) How is the best route to snake the rear header around to get it equal length/tuned as the front to miss CVT intake, driveshaft etc. I know most of you have cut the CVTs in half and don't use the CVT intake, but suppose you did have it installed. 5) How would the exaust route or the CVT intake route to not super-heat it? 6)Should the CVT exaust blow onto the front header for cooling or duct it out of the engine to start with? 7) Could all of these factors be implimented for a generic exaust system for swaps, or are there too many variables to contend with? 8) How would the Magnum/Desert Dog different engine mounts differ an exaust system, or are they close enough to eack other? Max, Qwick, CF, Mush, Ivanpro, jracing and all others.....what be the best, mi amigos??? Sorry for all these Qs at once, but it's getting crunch time for an exaust system and am trying to contribute to the swapping community here. Thanx.......LBR
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Wide F'n Open

You're killing me Lance. Muzzys wants to use your vehicle for mockup and build a system for these swaps and you want to have something else done? I speak for most of us when I say, "we're counting on you"!!!!!!

There are a good five of us READY to buy the Muzzys kit. Like I said in pm's, if you're not going to get to Muzzys soon, let me know and I'll ship them my Rhino so we can get a system produced!

BTW with the Muzzys system, there will be enough "play" in the headers to adapt to different engine posistions give or take a degree or two........

Would you do me a favor and measure the distance between the rear valve cover and the cross member on the frame just to the rear of it? I'd really appreciate it!

Brian B
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Wide F'n Open

LBR Here's an idea, you let me have your Muzzy offer and i'll give my system. Go with the muzzy if you can that's a clean looking system.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiitledo View Post
You're killing me Lance. Muzzys wants to use your vehicle for mockup and build a system for these swaps and you want to have something else done? I speak for most of us when I say, "we're counting on you"!!!!!!

hah that what i was thinking, i will try and snap some good pics for you, i wrapped it on the pass side as tight to the engine and as low as possible, to help from melting the engine cover. when cutting the cvt, I cut just the bottom half off still use the top half as a shield never really had a problem melrting that at all. you could snorkel your cvt if you want i was pretty resistant about cutting the cvt cover as well, lol ask max lol i trail ride a lot, and was worried about getting the belt wet, have not had a problem yet.(knock on wood) getting peeps here in vegas to fab me up an exhaust is like pulling teeth it seems.

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Wide F'n Open

Ya they can use mine, no prob.

My drinking team has a racing problem
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
LBR
Administrator

Haha - you guys are killing me here too - just confirmed an R&D spot @ Muzzys for the car - this Friday taking a road trip to Bend to leave it in their good hands - I've supplied them a dozen or so links to your guy's car pics that might be relevent. Any input in this thread from all of you will help derive a better end result of this limited production for us Rhintax oriented lunatics. That is why I started it, so Muzzy's R&D dept can review this thread first of next week and with the car in the shop, your suggestions will make complete sense and can be factored into their build if applicable. My take in this is being up here have felt out of the Ca/Az loop with these swaps, and now can do my part to factor back in some Oregon ingenuity. With the 93Db restriction here plus more and more peeps want a high perf AND quiet exaust, I've read where these folks exaust is highly regarded for our Rhinos. The CanAm'ers are really focusing in on Muzzys for these reasons as well. It's sounding like they are really busy, so am happy they could clear a spot for the car. Comments and suggestions guys, thread links and post #s of your favorite pics, anything that would affect the end result plug into this thread please. So ya'll can breathe now, and clean up the load you dumped earlier........LBR
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:02 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

we expect free prototypes for the troubles.

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Wide F'n Open

GREAT NEWS LANCE! Thanks for doing this! Thanks to Murray and Muzzys as well!

My honest opinion is that we leave all the R&D in Muzzys hands as they are professionals and make the best exhausts on the market!

I believe that the front head pipe needs to run on the drivers side of the engine as to keep it away from the clutch cover. There is three times the room to work with on the drivers side!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiitledo View Post
GREAT NEWS LANCE! Thanks for doing this! Thanks to Murray and Muzzys as well!

My honest opinion is that we leave all the R&D in Muzzys hands as they are professionals and make the best exhausts on the market!

I believe that the front head pipe needs to run on the drivers side of the engine as to keep it away from the clutch cover. There is three times the room to work with on the drivers side!
I agree with B stay on the drivers side.

Last edited by QwkRhino; 04-16-2009 at 11:33 AM.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkRhino View Post
I agree with say on the drivers side.
You guys are up for the driver's side, eh? Desert Dog had made mention that the driver's side adds ~1' more front cyl. pipe length to the system, so I thought that would mean an extra foot to the rear pipe for equal length tuning of cyls. Perhaps DD decision was to just get the exaust hooked up and out the can quickly and easily using the factory CanAm exaust to cut up, and not so much tuning header lengths?? My other observations are the wiring harness, ecm/cpu, starter sol, fuel line and extra tank if so used and all other elec "thingys" on the driver side to keep from over-heating. I revert my decisions to your guy's input, and ultimately Muzzys, but I would go on the pass. side if was my hacksaw and mig.
I think Muzzys is giving me a high five and pat on the back for this, so I hope that they recop their work with several sales over the years from the Rhintax communitys. I myself will have at least a week delay of the project & 16-18 hours of my driving time with the diesel expense, but happy to do it for a prestigious exaust system for all to be had..........LBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement