Anyone wired their own Rotax swap? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Engine Swap Discussions Yamaha Rhino engine swap discussions.
Rotax swap, R1 swap, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Anyone wired their own Rotax swap?

Has anyone here wired there own Rotax swap?

I've been wondering about this for awhile........

Thanks for looking!

Rotax Your Rhino

Last edited by Brian B; 08-04-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 11:57 PM

What do you need to know? I haven't wired a Rhino, but I've been all the way thru the Can Am harness, nothing fancy about it, just electrical. Ask away, and maybe between all of us on here, we can figure it out. A couple interesting things I figured out: the headlights don't run thru a relay, full electrical load on the switch, the 4WD switch has nothing to do with the computer, totally independant but does have a switch showing 4WD, the ignition key and switch doesn't need the computer to work, there may be others, this is just what comes to mind.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
LBR
Administrator

I think methodically listing all components that require and/or would work better from the Rhino harness is step 1. Then work in all of one's wants/desires to add in is step 2. Step 3 is marrying them together with the Canam accessory harness. The other Canam harness is left untouched as it's for engine only pretty much.

Step 1 - (Sitting at work trying to remember everything is the pits)...To start out the list for the Rhino harness is: headlight switch, both plugs for the front diff, 12 V acc plug (I left mine on both harnesses), brake light switch, headlights, necessary relays, emergency brake, fuel tank sending unit, taillights. There's a start - maybe other swappers can add to it what I missed.
Extra wiring put in for: UEGO gauge, water temp gauge, future whip, future reverse lights, future backup camera instead of mirrors, and other accessories one would want could be added.
Here's the tip of the day tho::::since the Rhino fuse block didn't get used in the main system, I left the wires from it as long as possible and used it for an accessory block. I had 7 fused circuits to do whatever with. I wired up 5 to 12 V hot and 2 to 12 V ignition. Let Painless keep theirs, you have your own for $0.00.
I put up pics in my PB acct of the before/after harness morphing, but they are not useful for reference IMO......LBR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM
1/4 Throttle

LBR, was the rhino harness still usable for the rhino engine? Might not be as critical for the 660, but I'm guessing for my 700 that who ever purchases the motor will want some kind of harness to make it work?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Wide F'n Open

Jay at desert dog has done plenty of them and knows the wiring inside and out.

2nd place is the first loser!!

Were a whole lot faster than you think you are.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcarguy View Post
LBR, was the rhino harness still usable for the rhino engine? Might not be as critical for the 660, but I'm guessing for my 700 that who ever purchases the motor will want some kind of harness to make it work?
The Rhino harness was stripped of the sheathing, wires cut, fuse block salvaged, parts of it used piggyback with the Canam harness for such components as I mentioned above. Bottomline, when your done salvaging what you need, it's junk for anything except extra wires and a few plugs for whatever reason IMO......LBR
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

The 4x4 circuit has to be cut out of the rhino harness.

I'm going to buy enough rhino harness' to do these swaps without having to cut up the 700 harness' so they're still swappable.

Looks like the only two guys that ever broke down and wired these swaps are Jay and myself? I just got done with another one today.

Rotax Your Rhino
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
1/4 Throttle

Any idea what you will be charging for a harness, Jay's seems spendy, but he said it's pretty time consuming. I'm kind of thinking I will be able to do my own(have friends that know wiring if needed), but if I can get one done up for not too much, I might be interested in going that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement