Check Engine Light on Rotax - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Engine Swap Discussions Yamaha Rhino engine swap discussions.
Rotax swap, R1 swap, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Angry Check Engine Light on Rotax

Hey guys....I havent been on here in ages. I went to the mountains and rode my rotax all weekend for the first time in 6 months and had a blast. I got back to the toy hauler and got out for a few minutes. I grabbed the key to my wifes 800 outlander and jumped back in my rhino. I accidentally put the key to the outlander in the rhino. It powered up...fuel pump ran..etc..etc but it would not turn over. I fukked with it for 5 minutes trying to crank it....fooling with the shifter....brake etc. It just said Check Engine on the cluster and the red engine light on (I have the gade cluster) I finally realized that I had the wrong godam key in it. Put the correct key in and it fired right up no problem. Took off and the Check Engine light is on now. I did the diagnostic mode deal and it said "No P code" or something like that. So it is not currently giving a code...but it still says Check Engine. Will it eventually go off or do I need to carry it to a dealer to clear it? I assume it tripped some kind of security code or possibly low voltage or something from me trying to crank it with the wrong key. Any info greatly appreciated!

2004/08 800 ROTAX!
+6" Twisted Labs Long Travel
Fabtech Spindles
Gear One Rack and tie rods
Unisteer power steering
Induced fab 2 seat cage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERUSONE View Post
Hey guys....I havent been on here in ages. I went to the mountains and rode my rotax all weekend for the first time in 6 months and had a blast. I got back to the toy hauler and got out for a few minutes. I grabbed the key to my wifes 800 outlander and jumped back in my rhino. I accidentally put the key to the outlander in the rhino. It powered up...fuel pump ran..etc..etc but it would not turn over. I fukked with it for 5 minutes trying to crank it....fooling with the shifter....brake etc. It just said Check Engine on the cluster and the red engine light on (I have the gade cluster) I finally realized that I had the wrong godam key in it. Put the correct key in and it fired right up no problem. Took off and the Check Engine light is on now. I did the diagnostic mode deal and it said "No P code" or something like that. So it is not currently giving a code...but it still says Check Engine. Will it eventually go off or do I need to carry it to a dealer to clear it? I assume it tripped some kind of security code or possibly low voltage or something from me trying to crank it with the wrong key. Any info greatly appreciated!
I would just run it for a while and see it it goes away. Also maybe unhook the battey and charge it a hook it back up and maybe that might clear it. P.s. sounds like you need a new key chain for the Rhino.

67.8 RWHP840 Rotax Powered Rhino I get my parts at BYC Motorsports 714 553-5248
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Q, I tried unhooking the battery. That didnt do anything. I didnt ride it though....I just hooked it up and cranked it. It was already loaded in the toy hauler and I had to get back to the crib. I do have a keychain on it....I just wasnt paying attention. It says Bad Mother Fucker on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02788 (Medium).JPG (46.3 KB, 11 views)

2004/08 800 ROTAX!
Fabtech Spindles
Unisteer power steering
Induced fab 2 seat cage

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Its Fixed!

Ok, I took it to the dealer this am. They scanned it and it was throwing a P0480 code which is the fan circuit shorting to battery. The tech reset it and it kept coming back. This was wierd because when you put it in self ck diagnostic mode...it said no current P code. (I thought I had set some sort of security thing off in it) Anyway...they said something was wrong with my wiring. I thought to myself.....I dont think so. Anyway...got back to camp with it and read the service manual. Looked up that code and it said it was either the fuse, the fan, the relay or the wiring. I jumped the fan straight to the battery and worked fine. I kept thinking what could I have done when I put the wrong key in it? It turned out that the fan relay was installed upside down. When I had the wrong key in it and it would not start....I pulled all the fuses and looked at them trying to figure out what was wrong. I also pulled the relays and looked at them. I put the fan relay back in upside down. Most 5 prong relays will only go in one way but these will go in either way. So, it was my own DUMBAZZ fault. I spent $42 at the dealer, drove 2.5 hrs at daylight this am and missed a whole day of riding all because I put the wrong key in last weekend. Jesus....getting old SUCKS!!!

2004/08 800 ROTAX!
Fabtech Spindles
Unisteer power steering
Induced fab 2 seat cage
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2009, 08:50 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

thats cool you got it figured out anyways..

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Wide F'n Open

Glad you figured it out, that's good to know about the relays.

67.8 RWHP840 Rotax Powered Rhino I get my parts at BYC Motorsports 714 553-5248
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:03 PM
LBR
Administrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement