Rotax existing Rhino or Can Am 1000 - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino Engine Swap Discussions Yamaha Rhino engine swap discussions.
Rotax swap, R1 swap, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Rotax existing Rhino or Can Am 1000

Which would be a better way to go, Rotax my 2006 Rhino or bite the bullet sell it and buy the new 1000X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 06:07 AM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

cheaper to do a swap, swap has been proven, new can-am for almost 20 grand and it's first year bugs not worked out yet. Maybe a can-am next year or year after. IMHO

VictoryGardenshydro.com
WeedConnect.net,get connected
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
LBR
Administrator

I would do both and not look back...sorry if this sounds smug, but the Mrs. and I are living only once and are going to enjoy ourselves....

Commander X was $14,699 OTD for us...less than a RZR-S equipped the same as our X is from the factory.....so far, the Commanders have proven extremely reliable (am on 3 Commander forums) with pretty much zero issues.....period.

Our 06 Rotaxed Rhino was a total investment of $3700-$3900 with very little labor out-sourced as I did the build myself - before the RYR kit days.....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBR View Post
I would do both and not look back...sorry if this sounds smug, but the Mrs. and I are living only once and are going to enjoy ourselves....

Commander X was $14,699 OTD for us...less than a RZR-S equipped the same as our X is from the factory.....so far, the Commanders have proven extremely reliable (am on 3 Commander forums) with pretty much zero issues.....period.

Our 06 Rotaxed Rhino was a total investment of $3700-$3900 with very little labor out-sourced as I did the build myself - before the RYR kit days.....

how bad did you spank that rzr?

VictoryGardenshydro.com
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max powers View Post
how bad did you spank that rzr?
Haha...that RZR has a bunch of go-fast goodies, but never has run right.....runs like it has the Commander's 25 MPH OSHA key in it.......so needless to say, no problemos for me.....

And just like you already know, takes a mighty big RZR to walk our Rhinos, except I did run into a boosted BBK RZR and met my Waterloo......Lance
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 AM

saw a few new can-am's out at glamis, they were also doing test drives.
So, your pretty happy with it huh? how does the power feel compared to the swap? Does it feel like your really high up compared to the rhino? That's the thing I didn't like about the cat 1000, seems like your driving a lifted sxs.

VictoryGardenshydro.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 AM

We saw one x at dumont he ran the hill and did not do so well I think he was being easy on it for break in never saw him the rest of the weekend. I sat in the xt at the dealer the are comfy I really liked them. Not enough to rush out and sell my rig maybe the next year or two.

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
LBR
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by max powers View Post
saw a few new can-am's out at glamis, they were also doing test drives.
So, your pretty happy with it huh? how does the power feel compared to the swap? Does it feel like your really high up compared to the rhino? That's the thing I didn't like about the cat 1000, seems like your driving a lifted sxs.
Still have less than 7 hours on it, so the jury is still out, but it is a nice machine..

power feels about the same as the Rhino now, but it's not loosened up yet, feels to be able to handle some clutch tuning for sure......it's on Bighorns 2.0 and my Rhino is paddled on all 4....need a bunch more seat time to figure it out and compare the two.....

I sit up high in my Rhino tho...PRP seats on stock bases,,,,and the Commander feels about the same height right now.....to Rhino guys that sit on lowered seat bases, the Commander would prolly feel a few inches higher,,,just a guess......Lance
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:54 PM

i saw a Commander go up Olds straight up with nobbies and it was fast, I didnt want nun with my CAt

Benchmark Performance 760-484-0986
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
BYC Motorsports
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Wide F'n Open

can am

I think the rotax in a rhino is a good combo with some longer a arms, the commander to me, well, I think they cut some corners...I read the can am forums and there are all kinds of first year issues with them, I'll waite...my buddies duned with one last weekend and they said it went up china wall with knobby tires...also their claim of 85hp at the crank is stretched, ran it on the dyno and it made 54hp at the wheels,and you don't loose 31hp through the drivetrain on these sxs's, maybe 16-21 tops...If my 686 with stock valves makes [email protected] the rear wheels,then I'll stick with a rhino for now and maybe build another engine with a stroker and bore for pumpgas...my opinion...the plastics are cheesy,brakes are a joke,differential size is smallest of any sxs's,takes about an hour to get to the motor,fly by wire throttle is turning into a big hassle,one brake on the outer rear wheel?(whats that?) you can't argue with the simplisity of the rhino design,yes its underpowered and needs longer arms,but its a well thought out design and is the most durable of any of the sxs's..its only outdated in the arena of needing a bigger motor and longer arms, if you already have mid or longtravel do a transplant with a rotax, this is all my two cents from my side of the tree...

rhinos,cars,guns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement