Overheating issue - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Overheating issue

I have had an issue with the rhino overheating seeming due to the the fan only working intermittently. I have replaced the little sensor where the fan connects to the bottom of the radiator and it is still overheating and it seems to correlate with the fan not running. As soon as I stop and jump the fan with a little wire the light goes out. It also only seems to happen if I am running at slower speeds (again due to the lack of air movement). Any suggestions on why the fan would not be coming on as it should and again sometimes it works fine???
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:05 PM
1/4 Throttle

Thermostat sticking open
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

It is my understanding that it does not have a thermostat and have read some similar threads that state it in fact does not have one? If it does have one I have not been able to find it yet. So if you know it has one can you please tell me where it is?

Since the post I have installed a temp gauge and fan over ride switch so I can turn the fan on when ever I want. Now it is acting a little differently. the reservoir for the coolant overflow is still overflowing and does so until it runs the radiator low on coolant. It is at that point that the temp light comes on. From what I have read, it sounds like it may be a head gasket. I did a block test on the rhino and it passed... the color of the fluid did not change. So at this point I am at a loss and don't know what it could be? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 PM
3/4 Throttle

have you checked the waterpump?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

The waterpump seems to be pumping water but seems weak to me for sure but I was told by another rhino owner that the stock pumps are all like that and that if they are "pumping" water then they are working and that they typically don't get "weak"... either work or they don't kinda of thing? If you know of a way for me to test it then I am all ears??? Thanks for the reply!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM
3/4 Throttle

maybe a bad radiator cap if its just overflowing a little,also is it all stock or are you running a k&n filter leaning it out to much which will make it run hot
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

It does have a k&n air filter in it... but can change back to original no problem (just have to buy one) and I have tried a radiator cap from my friends rhino and it still does the same thing. Would the k&n filter cause it to run that much hotter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement