Overheating issues 09 EFI 700 HELP - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Overheating issues 09 EFI 700 HELP

I have a 2009 fuel injected 700 rhino, after about 15 min or longer on open road the red temp light will come on and sometimes it will die, let cool of and it starts again,this happen once before and it was the radiator had a lot of dirt in it, so I cleaned it and that was not it, water comes out of water pump check bolt. also I took cover off and propeller was good, not losing any water, cant see much circulation in radiator? air filter is clean and oiled always, about a year ago the fan had so much mud on it that it would not turn, cleaned and started working again, at one time the red temp light came on but the radiator was cool? I knows its getting hot because it died once and was blowing smoke out of exhaust, we let it cool down and it started back up, motor oil looks good, no water in it. my daughter likes MUD! any thoughts rhino owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

I found it

to you rhino owners it was the thermostat, it is located on the left side top of the engine. thanks for the help!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

still getting hot

still getting hot with new thermostat, liquid ice antifreeze. still no movement in radiator, water blows out of radiator after it sets ands run for a few minutes. it does seem to be circulating the water?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 AM
1/4 Throttle

Hey liddellj,

Did you ever locate your overheating issue?

I have the same year and model as you do that I bought used a couple of years ago and have been fighting this overheating problem for over a year now. When I first got the Rhino I never had an overheating issue until last year. So reading up on heating issues in many of these online forums I checked the obvious culprits or bought suggested fluids like, mud in radiator, milky oil (blow head gasket), burped cooling system, used Engine Ice, checked stuck open thermostat. Come to find out that my thermostat was stuck open, and I really thought I had located my problem, but after replacing it, more of the same. I have not drained my system and re-checked my thermostat again, or checked my water pump fins, that is next in my search. Also I'm going to retro fit a tempature gauge to monitor exactly what my system tempature is running.

Thanks,

CMMtn
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Hey CNNtn

I thought I found the problem, it had a vapor lock/air in the system, I opened both bolts to let air out and it steamed for a wile until I kept putting water in the radiator and water finally came out of both holes and then I could see the water circulating in the radiator, I tried a 1.6 and a 2 bar radiator cap because it was blowing water out of the overflow tank tube, it stopped with the 2 bar but it still over heats? next task will be to take radiator off again and flush the inside.

Last edited by liddellj; 07-08-2014 at 12:29 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 08:55 PM
1/4 Throttle

I have had no probs so far with my Rhino overheating- but remember something that is very remote but maybe worth checking. About fifty years ago a friend had a car with similar issue and it wound up that the wire coil in bottom radiator hose had rusted out making his hose soft and it would collapse inward and restrict the flow creating the overheating. We may not have coil wires but maybe old soft hoses or dirt or something clogging a hose.......maybe worth checking?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
1/4 Throttle

Thanks jimclemjr I'll take that into consideration but I may be looking at a water pump issue. I drained my coolant system again and pulled my thermostat, it was stuck open again. Not sure why these thermostats are failing, so in a separate thread on this forum I'm looking for a better constructed aftermarket thermostat, if you know of one please advise.

So back to the water pump theory, during my first thermostat replacement I really went over every inch of the coolant system. Stated in a earlier post, I bought this Rhino used, so you never really know what people do to band aid previous problems. So looking at the water pump area, the tube that exits the bottom of the water pump was tucked inside the under carriage plate (not exiting the hole in the undercarriage like it should), when I located the end of the tube it had a large wood screw plugging the end of the tube. Being somewhat new to the mechanics of a side-by-side, I really didn't know the repercussions of this and why it was done. So I removed the screw and made sure the tube exited the frame. I then replaced the first failed thermostat thinking all along that the thermostat WAS my only problem. After the overheating problem persisted, I started reading more online and in my service manual and realized at that point why someone would intentially clog the hose with a screw. Also during this time, I kept having to put Engine Ice in the reservoir and when I would check the radiator when it cooled off, it would always be low of coolant. So, I am almost certain that the water pump seal is gone causing my issues. I've ordered all new working parts for the water pump and plan to tear this bad boy down this weekend, if they come in. I still would like to find another brand of thermostat, because I feel that these should not be failing like they have.

Thanks,

CMMtn
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 PM
1/4 Throttle

Just as another remote thought--have you tracked the coolant hose routings to the radiator to make sure that the PO did not swap them? "Momma always said that stupid is as stupid does"......not you but PO????

08 Black Armor 700SE, Unleashed sheave with JBS 18G OD weights (greased)Purple spring,STI 14" single beadlocks, 27 ITP Mudlite XTRs, Rigid lights, Stock motor, 4point harnesses, KFI rear bumper, Dual batts w/manual switch, Viper 4500 winch, 6" chopped cage,
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM
1/4 Throttle

I also had a problem with over heating on my Yamaha Grizzly (same engine and radiator as the Rhino )
After doing all the obvious, cleaning the radiator, replacing the thermostat etc. I found the answer. The Yamaha radiator has a design flaw. Go to "Totally Cool Products Inc. and talk to Garth. Their "triple pass radiator" will solve the problems. (tcperformance.com)
Hope this helps.
ATVSAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement