What a weekend! - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2008, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

What a weekend!

Man, I am tired. Saturday I brought the trailer home with the intentions of working on the Rhino.
Day 1: In order to do any work on the Rhino, I have to remove the cage. This consists of removing 4 bolts in front, and removing the back seat, 5 bolts. One problem though. There are wires running from the light bar through the cage. I looked for ways to disconnect the wires, but there wasn't an easy way to do so. So I cut the zip-ties that hold the wires to the frame, leaving me enough slack in order to tip the cage forward, allowing room to work under the bed. Problem is, we can't get the cage off of the middle supports. I ended up putting a bottle jack in the bed, and wedging it under the cross bar, thereby lifting the cage. We tip it forward, and I commence to repair my exhaust. I had to replace the gasket where the two pipes connect together. I get this done, and decide to put the cage back on. We finally get it into place, and I bolt it back down, and replace all the zip-ties. It was then that I realized that I forgot to put the plate that goes over the exhaust back on. We have new front seats, so I took off the old ones and put the mounts on the new ones. Problem is, the driver seat is hitting the cross bar of the cage and won't go back far enough to latch. Well, it is starting to get late, so I just pull it into the back yard to finish on Sunday.
Sunday: I have decided to cut the wires to the light bar so that I can remove the cage completely. I do this, and we get the cage completely off this time. Well, since it is off again, I decided to tackle the valves, which I have never done. The intake was fine, but the exhaust valves needed a little adjustment. Done. I also replaced the spark plug, which was pretty black. I also replaced the fuel filter. Dang thing looked the color of dirt, as well as having some sort of white stringy things floating in there. I changed the oil & filter, the differential fluid and cleaned the air filter. All done, now it's time to put it back together. Cage goes on, a little difficult, but done. I re-wire the lights and now I have to switch the seats, hoping that maybe that was the problem with the drivers seat. I take the mounts off, and switch the seats. I also put on the factory "oh crap" grab handle on the passenger seat. Now the seats work, at little tight, but they work. I now have to replace the back seat. What a bear that was! Could get the dang holes to line up. Finally the neighbor comes over, and we mange to finish that task. In the mean time, the Rhino, as well as the bikes, get a thorough washing, and we go over the rhino with armor all and tire treatment. She sure looks perty now! Of course it is now too late to get the hauler loaded and back to storage, so it sits out front of my house for another night.
Dang, I'm tired!

Removing the cage:

Cage tilted:

Working on the exhaust:

New gasket & what was left of the old one:

Cage & hood totally removed:

Starting to put her back together:

All pertied up:

Clean motorcycles too:

Our new seats:

Redneck Rhino all loaded up:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Wreckin' Shop

Sounds like loads of fun........what is all the stuff loaded up? Camping gear?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Enjoying my Rhino

SkyJ you had a busy weekend!!!!! Were you heading out with the Rhino so tighly packed?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Just how we store our gear. This goes in the hauler, & we unload at site. Mrs. Sky has to take lots of extra. That is riding gear, camp carpets, etc., etc.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 AM
Enjoying my Rhino

Is there a problability the extra weight on the rhino might damage the suspension?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownSkidMarks View Post
Is there a problability the extra weight on the rhino might damage the suspension?
I doubt there is enough weight there to cause a problem

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Enjoying my Rhino

I figured the tires might devlop flat spots, plus soften the springs and blow a shock seal off, assuming he leaves the rhino packed for more than 5 day sitting in storage.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Founding Ninja

was that gasket out of the exhaust where it slips on? If so I think thats what i need to fix mine??????

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Follow the Underground on Twitter
http://twitter.com/UTVUnderground#/UTVUnderground
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Yes it was. I had noticed that the Rhino had gotten louder, and then I developed backfire. At first I thought it was because I had lost a bolt on the bracket, which I tried to jury rig on the trail. That worked for a while, but didn't hold. When I took it apart, there was prety much nothing left of the gasket. Cheap and easy fix. Think the gasket was about $15.00. And I replaced the bracket and bolts.

As far as weight goes in storage, there really isn't that much weight there.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Yeah its not that much weight, We could put the gear bags on top of the bikes also i guess, But we have a Raptor garage model so those dirty gear bags are not going inside the hauler!!! I dont care where in the garage part they go.
We put the rhino and 4 dirt bikes in the 12 ft garage and its not too much stuff! We just had a bunch of duffle bags so we rolled up the fake grass carpet and some tarps and full gear for probably 7 i could put the extra helmets inside but that would only eliminate one bag.
We only had the bikes when we bought the hauler, Didnt even check to see if the rhino would fit!! Luckily it does.
Thanks everyone for the help it was scary to attempt the maint. but we did it took 2 days but we are happy to find out we can do this ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement