New AZ Law - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

New AZ Law

Jacked this from another forum..........

Off-highway vehicle bill passes Arizona Senate, goes to Governor

June 24, 2008

Long-awaited legislation that will help better manage off-highway vehicle (OHV) recreation and protect wildlife habitat passed the Arizona Senate yesterday and has been sent to the Governor.

Senate Bill 1167, also known as the “Off-Highway Vehicle Bill,” passed the Senate by a vote of 16-7, with 7 members not voting.

The bill has been transmitted to Gov. Janet Napolitano and awaits her signature.

SB 1167 will provide long-overdue resources to better manage issues created by the dramatic increase in OHV use in Arizona (347 percent in the last decade). Irresponsible riding has damaged habitat and created the potential for closures of some areas.

With the passage of SB 1167, revenue raised through an estimated $20 annual user fee (exact amount to be determined through a public rule making process) on off-highway vehicles will help provide funding for additional law enforcement, trail/facility maintenance and reconstruction, rider education and information (including identification of lawful places for operators to ride), and mitigation of resource damage from OHVs.

This “user play, user pay” approach is similar to that used by hunters and anglers, where sportsmen pay license fees to support their hunting and fishing opportunities and benefits. In this case, OHV users will pay the annual user fee to support the sustainable management of their recreational opportunities and resource protection.

“We’re thrilled to see this legislation pass,” said Arizona Game and Fish Commission Chairman Bill McLean. “Balancing the protection of wildlife habitat with opportunities for responsible OHV recreation has been a priority of the Game and Fish Commission. We worked hard on this bill with sponsor Rep. Jerry Weiers and the coalition of supporters, and we’re looking forward to its implementation.”

“This was drastically needed to keep up with the explosive growth of OHV use in our state,” said Mike Senn, assistant director for field operations for the Arizona Game and Fish Department. “It provides beefed-up tools—information/education efforts on responsible riding, trail development and habitat mitigation, new laws to address irresponsible riding, and seven new OHV law enforcement officers—to better manage OHV recreation and protect wildlife habitat.”

The bill passed through the Arizona House of Representatives in April by a vote of 42-13.

Key supporters in the Legislature were Rep. Jerry Weiers (R-District 10) and Sen. Linda Gray (R-District 12).

The bill was supported by a diverse coalition of organizations, including the Arizona Game and Fish Commission, Arizona Game and Fish Department, Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition, Responsible Trails America (Arizona Chapter), Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife, Arizona Power Sports Industry Association, Wildlife Conservation Council, Apache County ATV Roughriders, Sierra Club (Grand Canyon Chapter), Arizona Motor Sports Association, Arizona Wildlife Federation, Drew and the Crew Motor Sports, National Rifle Association, Arizona Council of Trout Unlimited, The Nature Conservancy, Sonoran Institute, Arizona State Parks, and Arizona State Land Department, among others.

When signed by the Governor, the OHV bill would become law on Jan. 1, 2009.

For additional information, visit Off-Highway Vehicles Arizona

I don't have anything nice to say....... I'm going to bed. FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:01 PM

I will pay if they keep the areas open to ride. But the tree huggers keep trying to close our riding areas. Pisses me off.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Wide F'n Open

You think it's bad there. CA is the worst... There is NO WHERE to ride anymore.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:36 PM
CommanderTalk.com

Don't we already pay a licensing fee? Last time I checked I had to pay for a State Trust Permit.

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpowered View Post
Don't we already pay a licensing fee? Last time I checked I had to pay for a State Trust Permit.
I agree with that too. They are getting us coming and going.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 08:31 AM

Just the beginnning of the fuck fuck fuckers taking away things. Always put their foot in the door to give an inch but take a foot!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Wide F'n Open

So What Is The State Trust Permit That I Buy Every Year For? WE BUY THEM AT THE BLM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Founding Ninja

This has been a heated topic on RA also. Just wait and ask for accountability of the funds going to what they said they were going toward, not what they actually went for. No provision to prevent them from raiding it for the general fund.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 PM

I got confused about the law. So I called G&F and asked the spokesman pointed questions.

Q - Will off road vehicles still be street legal
A - Yes they will and it will be about $23 instead of over $100

Q - Can I drive on State Land without permit
A - Yes. The fee INCLUDES the permit to drive on state land

Q - Does Local LEO know that we will STILL be street Legal after law is in effect?
A - Yes (Some one will have to remind the Local LEO that)

Q - What will the money go to?
A - It will fund new rangers in the different regions that deal exclusively with off road issues, Help to build and maintain trails (we'll see about that) and help educate the people not to drive off road.

The conversation I had was just as I suspected. He told me exactly what I wanted to hear. Why to I know this? because he is a bureaucrat as I am. I work for Municipal Government and see all kinds of misuse but, there are good things that do come out of some programs. I guess we will find out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Founding Ninja

I got confused about the law. So I called G&F and asked the spokesman pointed questions. I'm still confused.......

Q - Will off road vehicles still be street legal
A - Yes they will and it will be about $23 instead of over $100 "still", I'm not street legal now, will this permit allow me to drive on the street without registering?? Also, if I do register my rig and make it street legal, would I still be required to get a permit to drive it off road. What about my pick-up truck. If I want to go target shooting, do I need to get a permit for it to drive it off-road????

Q - Can I drive on State Land without permit
A - Yes. The fee INCLUDES the permit to drive on state land

Q - Does Local LEO know that we will STILL be street Legal after law is in effect?
A - Yes (Some one will have to remind the Local LEO that)

Q - What will the money go to?
A - It will fund new rangers in the different regions that deal exclusively with off road issues, Help to build and maintain trails (we'll see about that) and help educate the people not to drive off road. Any idea what regions they're thinking of?

The conversation I had was just as I suspected. He told me exactly what I wanted to hear. Why to I know this? because he is a bureaucrat as I am. I work for Municipal Government and see all kinds of misuse but, there are good things that do come out of some programs. I guess we will find out.

Thanks for the info.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement