Ohio Rhino Owners - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Ohio Rhino Owners

For those of you who live in Ohio, I have a member on my Teryx site asking this question, I do not know Ohios laws, therefore, can not answer it correctly:

Quote:
Well I am not sure where to ask this so I guess it goes here. Here is the deal. I live in Ohio and I bought a Teryx Memorial Day weekend. I went to the BMV this morning to get the state sticker so I can ride on the edge of the road. Well they weren't sure how to handle this situation since there is no title and these have a certificate of ownership. They call some other division and they tell them that UTV's can't get the state sticker and that it CAN'T be driven on the road. So now what does a guy do if he wants to ride on state ground? Can I use an SMV sign and be legal? I was told by 2 Ohio State Patrolman that I could use an SMV sign but we have been having problems with our local Sheriff's Dept. and them telling us we can't drive on or cross the road with ATV's even though we have the state stickers. Thanks for any and ALL input.

All-Purpose Vehicles (APV's), Off-Road Motorcycles, and Snowmobiles
One thing I found odd is he was saying that there was no title only a certificate of ownership.

Thanks in advance!

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2008, 05:01 AM

All Vehicals Come with A Cert Of Orgin When you go to The DMV to register That is were you will get the Title I bought my Grandsons Dirtbike New in Ohiothey Registered for me And sent Me A ohio Title to It
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
1/4 Throttle

I live in Ohio but bought my Rhino in Kentucky to beat the sales tax (about $700.00). Ky. does not require a title for these vehicles but Oh. does. As streetglide noted, you would go to the BMV to register the vehicle and you will receive a title; I would be surprised even then you can license it to drive on the road. With a title you can purchase a sticker that gains you access to state operated APV areas. Most of the ones I'm aware of enforce the fifty inch rule, hence no reason to get one. If you bought it in Ohio, the dealer should have taken care of the paper work for you, that is when you pay the sales tax. When I bought my Grizzly, the dealership filed the forms and I received the title in the mail about seven days later. I would be interested in making my Rhino street legal, but having lived in Ohio all of my life, I don't suspect this is an option. The state really sucks when it comes to things like this.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 AM
1/4 Throttle

I also received a title when purchasing in OH. Like was said, it came in the mail a little later.

I got on the Ohio State Patrol website and found a "contact us" section and sent them a question on how to make street legal. I was careful not to call my Rhino an ATV in the e-mail. I called it a Utility Vehicle. I was surprised that a trooper actually e-mailed me back. However this list of rules and regs to be street legal was so long that I decided it probably wasn't worth it. But if it's important to this guy, he may want to try contacting them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
CommanderTalk.com

Thank you all for the information, I will pass it on

ShootersRealm.com --> www.shootersrealm.com
CommanderTalk.com --> www.commandertalk.com

I support every man and women in the armed forces, I wish you all the best and thank you!

2008 Kawasaki Teryx | 840cc BBK w/ stage III cams | FST long travel and HD steering | Twisted Stitch seats | FST cage | Muzzy dual exhaust | Dynatek prog CDI | aFe intake | HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks | Goodyear MT/Rs | Crow restraints | SafeGlo LED and FO whips | NightOwl HID conversion | Edge series 40" LED lightbar | Fuego Dual HID lights | Dalton clutch kit and OD cover | Full audio | Navigation | Power steering | TrailTech Vapor computer | Factory UTV skids | Airtite Art custom paint | Maier plastics
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:15 PM

Hope We helped them out
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
1/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinohio View Post
I live in Ohio but bought my Rhino in Kentucky to beat the sales tax (about $700.00). Ky. does not require a title for these vehicles but Oh. does. As streetglide noted, you would go to the BMV to register the vehicle and you will receive a title; I would be surprised even then you can license it to drive on the road. With a title you can purchase a sticker that gains you access to state operated APV areas. Most of the ones I'm aware of enforce the fifty inch rule, hence no reason to get one. If you bought it in Ohio, the dealer should have taken care of the paper work for you, that is when you pay the sales tax. When I bought my Grizzly, the dealership filed the forms and I received the title in the mail about seven days later. I would be interested in making my Rhino street legal, but having lived in Ohio all of my life, I don't suspect this is an option. The state really sucks when it comes to things like this.
In Ohio, you have to have an OHV sticker to ride your atv off your property. 50 inch limitation for the state riding areas isn't a reason not to get one. I have a Rhino clone I purchased in Mansfield, Ohio. I took my owner's certificate to the bmv and was told that Ohio didn't have a requirement for the OHV sticker yet. I told her I didn't care. I want my utv registered as an OHV so I can get a sticker to ride off my property. Needless to say, I have it. If you read the OHV laws, you will see that you have to have one when riding off your property.
If your a two wheels on, two wheels off the highway rider, and you are stopped by the cops, you would be legal because you are registered and you are not riding on the street. The Highway Patrol office told me that they considered the shoulder the surface outside the marked white line. And the berm was the edge of the pavement surface. The Ohio OHV law says along any roadway shoulder or berm, except interstate hwy. But you can cross a divided highway that is not an interstate hwy.
My experience with berm riding along the roadway has been uneventful with law enforcement. I would however try to refrain from tearing across someone's front yard. I always try to watch my traffic and wait to ride the road past front yards as much as possible. I don't want to draw any unwanted attention drawn to me. In times where you are forced to ride the edge of a yard, I try to slow down or even wait for traffic to clear, so I don't tear up the yard.
As for the street legal thing....well, I have headlights, turn signals, 4 ways, brake lights, but no horn yet, and I'm not sure about a windshield wiper?
I don't drive like an idiot to piss my neighbors off. They wave when I go by. I've seen some of the younger riders tearing up the street about 60mph without helmets too. Bad idea in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement