Yamaha Rhino Forums - RhinoTalk banner

2006 Yamaha 450 rhino low speed

4K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  ronaround 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Yamaha 450 rhino that will not run over 17 mph. I have replaced fuel pump with new stock pump. It has a new OEM carburetor. And I also replaced the belt . I am clueless at this point as what is causing the rhino to run so slow. I have friends with same model rhino that reach speeds up to 40 mph so I am looking for any opinions or suggestions as to what might be causing my rhino to have such slow top end. With the stock cdi it seems to try to cut out at 17mph. I had a aftermarket cdi that supposedly increased the power and rev limiter from another rhino owner. So I installed the cdi and it appeared to help some what with the cut out but machine still will not run over 17 mph with throttle to the floor. So I welcome any and all inputs to the reasoning to no top end.

Sincerely Bill

#2 ·
it appears no one is giving any feedback on most questions. lately like over a year, i have a 2007 450 and after sitting for a year in my dads barn wont clear out and after half throttle. bucking and sputtering also. i replaced the fuel filter ,new plug, drained the gas, and half a bottle of Sea Foam cleaner. still same thing.
well lets hope someone with a higher knowledge has some thoughts!

#5 ·
I will, thanks. i dumped in some good dry gas last night to be sure it didn't have any moisture in the tank and carb. when i pull on the choke when accelerating it clears out and speeds up without bucking. sounds like a carby issue maybe. when i check the slide do i need to remove the carb. or pull the top of it only to verify?

#7 ·
Little helpful tid bit. Dont waste your money on aftermarket carburetor. Rebuild the one you have or get a OEM carburetor. I found out the expensive way. I bought one and float was not adjusted at right level and leaked gas. Reinstall old carburetor with rebuild kit and no leaks and better power and start up.

#8 ·
i'm on it this weekend to see. thanks for your inputs!
i was thinking of getting a fuel pump but it fires straight up first turn. so that means it puts gas in right place and idles good.
its a 2007, but i gave it to my dad New to use on the farm and since that point probably never got more than 300 miles on it.

#9 ·
well, i took the Carb. off after check needle and pulled it all apart. after sitting from lack of use for a good while like 1-5 years more or less with just an occasional start up once in awhile. it was crusty ,and on a jet or two crusty too. complete cleaning and wipe and glad to say it runs as good as the day i bought it.
thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.