Trucks and buggis banned from Vulture Mine Race - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Trucks and buggis banned from Vulture Mine Race

The BLM blocks Wickenburg for trucks and buggies!
This is a sign of the times. The BLM has made it impossible for Whiplash to race the
trucks and buggies at Vulture Mine by imposing huge fines for damage to the desert.
Why not just pull our permit? They did not pull our permit because if they did then we’d
all have something to fight against. Instead they laid out $9000 in fines and said they
would do it again if we run the trucks and buggies. You draw your own conclusions as to
what they are trying to do to Arizona off-road racing.
So that being said the trucks and buggies will not be returning to Wickenburg anytime
soon. Instead we have two new desert courses we will be focusing on. The first is the
highly anticipated return to Mexico. We have been working very hard on a 200 mile
loop, which if all goes well, could accommodate us once or twice per year. We will be
going to Mexico on March 7th to pre-run the course. Everyone is welcome to come.
There will be special hotel accommodations and prices. Come check out the course and
help me spread the word about our Mexico race.
Next, since we cannot race on, “public” land we are looking for private land. We are
working on an option for at least one 25mile + course in northeastern AZ, as well as
some other options. We will keep you posted.
We may have lost Vulture Mine but that doesn’t mean we have lost our series. There is
and will be competition for a championship in the Whiplash s truck and buggy series this
year. The good news is we will be going to different locations to do it!
Truck and buggy guys, if you have any questions please e-mail me and I will be happy to
answer them. [email protected]
John Martensen

The word is that bikes, ATVs and UTVs will be next!

Whiplash has been and will continue to fight for land use for all our racers! Now we need your help! Today it's the trucks and buggies, tomorrow it will be the bikes, ATV's and UTV's. THIS WILL AFFECT EVERYONE!!!!

Attention all desert racers, this is a basic information sheet that people can use as a basis for “Talking Points” when CALLING their Representatives. Calling I’m told is apparently more effective than e-mail but I think both are important. Bike, ATV and UTV guys, you should also call because you will be the next ones to lose out on land and racing!!!

Apparently most of the Representatives are in Washington D.C., trying to solve the world’s economic problems. They do however, have local people who can react.

THE SQUEAKY WHEEL GETS THE GREASE!!! We need as many callers/emails as we can get. This is the website that has contact information for all of Arizona’s Representatives: http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/newseek.cgi?site=ctc&state=az

It is ok to contact all of them! In fact it is our duty.

I will create a flyer to pass out at the Banquet when everyone’s in-put is received.
Let me know what you think should be added or deleted ASAP!

BASIC WICKENBURG INFORMATION
There are thousands of acres of Public lands in Arizona administered by the BLM; most of this land is off limits to any kind of motorized travel.

A small portion of Public Lands can be utilized for non-competitive motorized use, and, but a fraction of that land can and has been used for competitive motorized events.

There is an area South of Wickenburg known as Vulture Mine, where a series of roads and trails have been used for Competitive Off-Road racing for more than 25 years.

Arizona Desert Racing Association began holding competitive events in that area in the 1980’s. Similar events have been held on the same roads and trails once or twice a year continually, since then.

Whiplash Motorsports replaced ADRA as the principal user of the Vulture Mine course some 15 years ago. Whiplash Motorsports offers racing in a FAMILY atmosphere with about 1/3 of the attendees being kids and their parents. Whiplash has enjoyed a good working relationship with the BLM until a new Phoenix Area Field Manager and Law Enforcement personnel began administering the district, with what appears to be an attempt, to close the area to competitive use.

Huge fines were administered against Whiplash (without notice) for things that were standard operating procedure for decades. Additionally, Law enforcement personnel insinuated in very strong terms, that they would to do whatever is necessary to continue the fines against Whiplash and or the attendees at future events.

In 2008 Whiplash averaged around 400 competitors at each of 10 events they held across Arizona. Total attendees range from 2 to 6 thousand people at each event. In a time when communities and state finances are stretched to the limit, how can the BLM be justified in their actions?

BLM’s decision to make it impossible for Whiplash to race the Off-Road Cars and Trucks at our next event (Feb 21st & 22nd, 2009) with less than two weeks notice will cost the community of Wickenburg tens of thousands of dollars in tourism revenue, the merchants who build and maintain these race cars and trucks, tens of thousands of dollars, not to speak of the lost Gas Tax Revenue, as well as repairs required to support the motor homes and haulers that bring these racers and friends to the event from across the state and region.

My family considers Off-Road racing a major part of our lives. I am a registered voter and I want to know what you are going to do to help us.

The BLM person that is in charge of the Phoenix District is Steven Cohn and he can be reached at (623) 580-5500.

The Whiplash Motorsports office number is (602) 971-3730. You can also contact Jay McKinley (Director) on his cell at (602) 758-5050.

THIS IS NOT A JOKE! EVERYONE NEEDS TO CALL TODAY TO HELP US MAKE THINGS HAPPEN. PLEASE CALL!!!!! Once you have called post on this topic and tell everyone how to help!

Thank you!!!!!

Dustin
Whiplash Racing
Pro Mod UTV #70
2008 Pro Mod and Overall UTV Champion
Snowflake 2007 & 2008 Overall Champion
Alba Racing 686, PDM clutch, LSR XTR[/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement