Diff lock Not Locking - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Diff lock Not Locking

I was riding the other day and I engaged the diff lock and I heard a loud pop.The slip differential still works and when I engage the diff lock I can hear the servo engage but it is still in slip.
I will be pulling the diff out tonight or tomorrow and it is always good to hear from others that this might have happened to them and what it might be that I need to look for.

Thanks
Chris

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL

'REMEMBER SOME
PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Wide F'n Open

are you sure you didn't break and axle? or cv?

futsa!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Yeah I am sure of that.I have already checked that by inspection and while in slip it will spin either side at one point or another depending and traction.

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ROLL TIDE ROLL

'REMEMBER SOME
PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
1/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bama1 View Post
I was riding the other day and I engaged the diff lock and I heard a loud pop.The slip differential still works and when I engage the diff lock I can hear the servo engage but it is still in slip.
I will be pulling the diff out tonight or tomorrow and it is always good to hear from others that this might have happened to them and what it might be that I need to look for.

Thanks
Chris
I have a similar problem on my '09 Rhino. What did you find out? I took to dealership, but they seemed to know less than I do.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLancast View Post
I have a similar problem on my '09 Rhino. What did you find out? I took to dealership, but they seemed to know less than I do.
whats going on with your rhino is it just not locking
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
1/4 Throttle

Front diff will engage with limited slip, but won't lock when in diff lock. Dealership had for over 6 weeks and confirmed that everything worked properly. However, I know it is not. I jacked the front of the rhino up in the parking lot and demonstrated that the wheels would turn in the opposite direction when in regular 4x4 and difflock. I went ahead and brought it home and decided to look at it myself. I removed the servo motor and chucks metal began falling out. After inspecting further, the could see that the outer ring was stripped out. I drained the diff and took the contents to the shop and showed the service manage the paperwork where they had "inspected the shift motor". The servo tech basically looked at the outside and made sure that the plastic housing was present. They were very apologetic and promised to put me in the front of the line on Monday. We'll see. If it wasn't a warranty item and the fact that the part is over $400 online, I wouldn't have messed with them. Next closest dealership is over an hour away, so I'll give them another chance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJLancast View Post
Front diff will engage with limited slip, but won't lock when in diff lock. Dealership had for over 6 weeks and confirmed that everything worked properly. However, I know it is not. I jacked the front of the rhino up in the parking lot and demonstrated that the wheels would turn in the opposite direction when in regular 4x4 and difflock. I went ahead and brought it home and decided to look at it myself. I removed the servo motor and chucks metal began falling out. After inspecting further, the could see that the outer ring was stripped out. I drained the diff and took the contents to the shop and showed the service manage the paperwork where they had "inspected the shift motor". The servo tech basically looked at the outside and made sure that the plastic housing was present. They were very apologetic and promised to put me in the front of the line on Monday. We'll see. If it wasn't a warranty item and the fact that the part is over $400 online, I wouldn't have messed with them. Next closest dealership is over an hour away, so I'll give them another chance.
all they did was push the buttons and look at the indicator, freakin dealers, alot are terrible for service.

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement