Red Or Blue whips Illegal?? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Red Or Blue whips Illegal??

Hey the nice officers at pismo informed me my red whips are illegal due to the color is for emergency vehicles only????? Red or blue are illegal... anyone have info??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Wide F'n Open

Makes sense Wayne. Having a red or blue light displayed on a vehicle on the road would be a ticket/illegal, and since they say they enforce the CA Vehicle Code at Pismo, well....

NOW I know why Terry traded me his blue whips for some radio shit... BASTARD!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Pr3m1um M3mb3r

i have had a blue whip for 3 years. never been harassed or told otherwise. prob just some pismo treehugger. LOL my buddy has ran a red and a red and white one for 4 years same thing ,no prob. we have had ours at dumont,glamis,amargosa,little sahara,st. anthonies,coral pink,sand hollow,and the desert
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
jws
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytay View Post
Hey the nice officers at pismo informed me my red whips are illegal due to the color is for emergency vehicles only????? Red or blue are illegal... anyone have info??
From the owner of Livewire ................

http://forum.toyhaulnhooligans.com/s...7&postcount=20

I thought I would call the ranger station in pismo to see what their take on red and blue whips were. When I started looking for the number, I came across the phone #'s to the State headquarters Off-Hiway Motor Vehicles Recreation Division.

Told the nice lady that answered the phone I was Mark with Livewire Whips and needed to get some answers about red and blue led whips. ie: are they legal at state run riding areas?

She transfered me to a gentelman named John. I gave him the run down about the incident at Ocotillo and Pismo over the 4th.

He stated to me their stance is basically the same as the BLM, Do not put lights on your vehicle that would appear to impersonate a law enforcement vehicle.

He knew that red and blue were our biggest sellers and said they have recieved several calls from people wanting to make it mandatory to run a lighted whip at night. He said "you cant see a flag at night"

In his opinion it would "Really" be a strech to use a red or blue whip as probable cause to pull somebody over.

He stated there are NO shortage of reasons to pull somebody over. Can easily stop you just to see if your green sticker is current.

He also said they have a conference call every month with the directors of each state run riding area. He said he would make a note and relay that info to the directors.

My take was he would inform them to inform their staff a red or blue whip should NOT give them probable cause to pull you over.

My take: We have sold hundred's of red and blue whips as well as several other vendors and I have not heard of 1 citation being issued yet? Have you?

Last edited by jws; 07-09-2009 at 01:02 PM.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Pr3m1um M3mb3r

if your worried wayne i can tyake them off your hand. for my new build i want red ones
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Wide F'n Open

Technically, I believe it's red and/or blue lights or reflective material visible to the front, but...............................

The CA vehicle code, with few exceptions (DUI, no license, hit and run) was made for public highway, not off-road application. While someone might cite for it, I believe it is an attempt to use the laymans' lack of knowledge of the CA Vehicle Code to establish precedent (spelling?) or it's just plain innocent ignorance.

I've never heard of any Parks regulations regarding emergency vehicle lighting.

I don't know of anybody actually testing it in court, but I believe it is not technically legal PC for a stop. I've read the vehicle code and asked a police traffic supervisor about it... I think until it gets challenged in court, or the vehicle code is changed to reflect off-road, it'll be biz as usual...

Just my opinion, of course
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM

CVC 38346. A person shall not display a flashing or steady burning red or blue warning light on an off-highway motor vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.

Not sure a whip is considered a "warning light"
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Wide F'n Open

WE ACTUALLY TALKED TO A RANGER IN AN RZR THAT CAME TO OUR CAMP AND WE ASKED HIM THATQUESTION, HE TOLD US THAT OVER THE 4TH HOLIDAY THEY HAD A FEW RELIEF OFFICERS FROM OCTILLO WELLS PATROLING WITH THEM THEY WERE THE ONES STOPPING PEOPLE FOR THE WHIPS BECAUSE IN THERE DEPT THEY RUN RED AND BLUE LIGHTED WHIPS,OCEANO RANGERS HE SAID TYPICALLY WILL NOT PULL YOU OVER
BUT HE SAID ,

IT DOES GIVE PROBABLE CAUSE

DUNER
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Wide F'n Open

What about a red white and blue whip? Would that be illegal?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockymom63 View Post
CVC 38346. A person shall not display a flashing or steady burning red or blue warning light on an off-highway motor vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists.
My layman's interpretation of that would be the kind of lights you see on a law enforcement vehicle, typically the bar or strobe. I have yet to see a law enforcement vehicle with lighted whips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement