Buying a used rhino; long travel or stock?? - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

Question Buying a used rhino; long travel or stock??

I'm new to the site and soon to be new to the SxS world. Im looking at a couple rhinos on the web for sale and some questions have popped in my head...

I have heard alot of my buddies saying their non-long traveled rides handle almost just as well out in the dirt/sand as ones with crazy long travel. They say the problems i would run into when buying a utv with crazy suspension is reliability. Is this true?

also i was looking for more of a 2 seater chopped and dropped seat/cage style (race style) rhino vs. one with a 4 seat cage and a backseat. I would never have anyone back there and i have heard itís a pain anyways.

Needless to say the 2 i am comparing is a 2008 stock suspension race style, chopped and dropped, 2 seater with a fuel safe and custom weight distribution rhino vs. 2006 a long travel 4 seaterÖ

Can anyone help, Iím seriously losing sleep over it. =)~

chopped and dropped:
2008 Yamaha Rhino

Long travel 4 seater:
Sick Yamaha Rhino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
ljb
Wide F'n Open

ok, a couple of observations on the first one - looks like you need to be really short to ride in that thing.... yea, I know the seats are mounted low...
Also, it has the bone stock shocks on it - not even the ressi's - it will ride like shit compared to a long travel - PERIOD.
Also, whats up with the KTM exhaust mounted upside down ???

I'd pass on that one without giving it another thought, even before looking at the 10K price tag.

Now the second one you posted is a serious piece of hardware - SoCal Fab builds nice stuff, and it has Elka's on it which are very nice expensive shocks. For only 3 grand more, its a no brainer to me....even if you don't want the 4 seater, you can pop the back seats out and you still have a really nice full cage.

Consider this, just about any decent long travel is going to set you back about 4-5K.....and why does everyone spend the money.....because its worth it.

08 700 SE
XMF LT
HID's
Livewire whip
and some quads and a KTM
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

this is true.. should i be worried about how old it is?
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee deep View Post

1. I have heard alot of my buddies saying their non-long traveled rides handle almost just as well out in the dirt/sand as ones with crazy long travel. T

2. hey say the problems i would run into when buying a utv with crazy suspension is reliability. Is this true?
[/url]

Long travel 4 seater:
Sick Yamaha Rhino
1. Your buddies have zero idea what they're talking about. One ride in a good LT Rhino is all it will take to convince them otherwise. With few exceptions, every Rhino in our group is now LT.

2. An LT from a reputable company will have virtually zero reliability issues. LT's are far stronger than the frame their bolted to, and far stronger than the factory suspension.

'07 Rhino 660 * Mason LT * Elka Elites * Ron Woods exhaust * 38.2 hp on the Pro Shop's Dyno * LiveWire Whip
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

LT LT LT all the way. Bullshit that it would handle in the desert the same as stock. Matter of fact, I think LT is better for the desert than for the sand. It is great for both, but with desert riding, you get a hella lot more bumps than the sand. Not to mention the additional stability you get from LT. Some of my friends have LT, and they can do a lot more than my stock machine. If at all possible, try both stock and LT out. It sells itself.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
1/2 Throttle

is it pos to chop and drop a LT rhino? i was told after chopped cage and dropped seats was the way to go to eliminate roll..lower point of gravity.. im hard on my toys...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 02:44 AM
Pr3m1um M3mb3r

this one is nicer than either you were looking at. there are alot and alot better than what you are looking at out there ! and no its not mine or anyone i know

2007 2 Seat Long Travel Rhino - GlamisDunes.com
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
JMS
Wide F'n Open

I owned a 2006 4 seater with stock suspension. I even put the Fox stock replacement shocks on it. While it helped I still wanted more. I know own a 2007 4 seater long travel and LT is the best investment you will ever buy for the Rhino. I would not buy one that doesn't already have it on there, especially for the prices out there these days. Good luck with the purchase.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
is it pos to chop and drop a LT rhino? i was told after chopped cage and dropped seats was the way to go to eliminate roll..lower point of gravity.. im hard on my toys...
yes you can do anything and more to an lt rhino than a stock rhino...one thing to think of though is that most chop and drops like that are more for racing. in my opinion it isnt practical in any way to drop your seats like that beacase you wont be able to see shit unless your a tall guy. with lt you really arent gonna have problems rolling your rhino unless it was something you did jumping it, not just turning
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
You were basically told that chopping the cage and lowering will provide more roll resistance than making the Rhino 12-inches wider. This is simply not the case.

There is no way you can lower it enough to compare to the stability offered by a 12-inch wider stance.

'07 Rhino 660 * Mason LT * Elka Elites * Ron Woods exhaust * 38.2 hp on the Pro Shop's Dyno * LiveWire Whip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement