Noise In bottom end - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Noise In bottom end

I have an 05 660 and when the machine is under power in low or high range there is a loud clunking noise coming from the tranny. We isolated it to be there ie checked differential bearings, u joints and cv shafts those all look ok. If you grab either the front or rear drive shaft and turn it back and forth by hand you can hear the clunking noise coming from the bottom side of the engine. I am assuming that it is coming from the tranny?? Just wondering what the issue might be and what are the steps that I should take to figure out exactly what I need to replace to cure the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Trevor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 AM
Founding Ninja

Sounds like the middle drive gears are damaged. You can physically inspect them by removing the front drive yoke from the engine and looking inside the engine. Drain the engine oil first, remove the 3 front differential mounting bolts, diengage the front driveshaft, remove the 4 12mm head bolts holding the front drive into the cases, and remove. If the gears are damaged, you'll have to pull the engine and split the cases to repair it.
There have been quite a few threads on this, try searching for more info. Let me know if you need any parts or assistance!

Benchmark Performance
760-484-0986
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

A little more info for everyone. Over the past few months it has had a problem going into low range. The gears will grind a little and if you push forward on the shifter it will engage with quite a clunking sound. Unlike what I have read on some of these other posts my primary and secondary clutches do turn and all of the rest of the drivetrain turns ok. It makes this noise only when the front or rear drive train is in gear, not in neutral. If that helps diagnose it a little further let me know.
Thanks
Trevor
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Another question do I have to completly tear down the engine to remove the tranny or can it be removed seperatly?? I have good mechanical ability, but have not done any work with transmissions, is this something that I can do with a good manual and if so where would I get one??
Thanks
Trevor
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Wide F'n Open

sounds like you ned to open her up. the trans in inside he motor and there is no way of getting to it unless you split the case.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2k1 View Post
Sounds like the middle drive gears are damaged. You can physically inspect them by removing the front drive yoke from the engine and looking inside the engine. Drain the engine oil first, remove the 3 front differential mounting bolts, diengage the front driveshaft, remove the 4 12mm head bolts holding the front drive into the cases, and remove. If the gears are damaged, you'll have to pull the engine and split the cases to repair it.
There have been quite a few threads on this, try searching for more info. Let me know if you need any parts or assistance!
After you remove the from driveshaft, do you have to remove the u joint and yoke before that plate with the four bolts will come off?
Thanks
Trevor
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
3/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiroux View Post
After you remove the from driveshaft, do you have to remove the u joint and yoke before that plate with the four bolts will come off?
Thanks
Trevor
i just had to replace the middle drive gears on my 660. it also busted the case up where the middle drive gear support bolts to. you don't have to fully remove the front driveshaft. just unbolt the diff from the front. this will allow you to move the driveshaft foward enough to pull the yolk out of the front of the engine. the the one middle drive gear will come out with the yolk. the other gear will be on the passenger side. you'll have about a 5-6" hole to look into once you pull the yolk out. send me a message if you have any questions about it. i ended up having about $600 in fixing mine. if i would have had to buy another case i'd had about $700 more in it. luckily i know a good welder who welded the case all up for me. he even welded in some gussets for extra support.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

I took that front yoke off the engine and more than half of the teeth are gone on the gear on the inside of the engine. Pulled the motor.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
3/4 Throttle

i sent you a pm on who i dealt with for my parts. it was benchmark performance. good guy to deal with.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider_buck View Post
i sent you a pm on who i dealt with for my parts. it was benchmark performance. good guy to deal with.
he also sells all yamaha parts at great prices, Chris will know what you need to put all back together, gears, gaskets etc..

call him at 760-484-0986

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement