Brake fade - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Brake fade

We just returned from our trip to Telluride. It was awesome, except for the deer running into my truck. 2 doors, fender and some paint needed.
I know have a brake issue on the rhino. Have any of you guys experienced brake fade? When going down steep grades and using alot of brake the pedal goes to the floor. Pump it a few times and you get a pedal. After not using them, the pedal is back to normal. I think its the rears, by the chatter. Boiling the brake fluid? The fluid is the original. I'm thinking of changing the fluid to what we use in the race trucks. Boiling point is 520 degrees. I did change the pads(front and rears) before the trip to the EBC gold. I also now have the dreaded growling-chatter and growling, BAD! It is so bad(HORRIBLE) its embarrising. Any ideas? I have tried researching the EBC oversize rotor, but not alot of feedback. Maybe because of price? Have any of you guys converted to the 4 wheel brake setup?

Dirt flies when your having fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
1/2 Throttle

i would change the fuild out and make sure you bleed them really good- get a good stream coming out.

I have never had any break fade on my Rhino.

Cant we all get along? lol
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Wide F'n Open

Buy some rope and an old anchor and throw it out the side when needed. J/k

Actually Ive heard some complaints before on fade and some people found some HP synthetic race fluid that raises the boiling point.

2nd place is the first loser!!

Were a whole lot faster than you think you are.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM
1/2 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlock View Post
Buy some rope and an old anchor and throw it out the side when needed. J/k

Actually Ive heard some complaints before on fade and some people found some HP synthetic race fluid that raises the boiling point.
there is no way under regular conditions could be boil the brake fuild on these rhinos. i think the main problem is the cheap rubber lines- im sure they expand overtime-causing the squishy pedal feel sometimes.

Cant we all get along? lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmith84 View Post
there is no way under regular conditions could be boil the brake fuild on these rhinos. i think the main problem is the cheap rubber lines- im sure they expand overtime-causing the squishy pedal feel sometimes.
I was thinking mainly of the area they were riding in with the big down hill grades. Around here on the flat desert floors I would say spongy lines or shit brakes.

2nd place is the first loser!!

Were a whole lot faster than you think you are.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Wide F'n Open

Thanks for the replies. I do think Im boiling the fluid. If you stop for 5 minutes the brakes are back. If i keep going and only use the engine brake they come back. It only happens when using alot of braking on very steep grades. After that they cool off and are fine. I can drive all over on normal shit and its fine.

What is strange is how I can pump them about 5 times and I have a pedal. Let off and no pedal. Dont use them for 5 minutes or so, either stopped or driving and they are back.

Dirt flies when your having fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement