Removing the spark plug - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Question Removing the spark plug

Hi. This is my first post. We have an '06 660. It started backfiring yesterday and then died. Could not get it started and towed it back home. I am on my own with trying to do a few things because my husband won't be back from Alaska for another three weeks. I cleaned the air filter and I've been told to clean the fuel filter and check the spark plug.

For the life of me, I cannot get the spark plug out. The wrench in the tool kit is just too short. Can someone advise me what to do because the illustrations in the manual do not reflect the reality of the situation. It shows the wrench with a short rod through the hole for turning, but the rod sure appears to be much higher than where it sits when I put the wrench into the hole and seat it on the spark plug. Is there some sort of extension tool I need?

I'd appreciate as much detailed help as anyone can possibly give. Seriously, I don't see how a man with bigger hands than mine can manage to even get close to this thing!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Never mind. Finally got it out and it doesn't look like the problem.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Founding Ninja

this is not a spark plug issue for a rhino.

replace the fuel filter.

if it still does it, then the carb jets are most likley clogged

maybe one other thing. top of tank is where the fuel pickup is. 4 little bolts hold it on, rhino's have been known to have silicone residue inside the tank and clogs the fuel line, you can remove this and check for blockage.

Welcome to RT.net BTW from San diego.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Thanks for the welcome, and the suggestions.

The air filter was very dirty (I drive in very dusty areas) so I cleaned it. There was a bit of dirt in the fuel filter, an after market glass filter that is supposed to be good quality, and I cleaned that. I think it's functioning OK. The spark plug appeared ok, a little bit of crud that I cleaned off, then reinserted.

The clogged carb jets... is there some way I can check this or is it best left to a mechanic? I'm 50 miles from the closest repair shop and don't want to trailer it through the mountains to get there on my own.

Karen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Founding Ninja

get a diff fuel filter at parts store, fram G? with 5/16" ends on it. it is clear plastic with paper in it. the glass ones do not filter very well. stuff gets past the screen.

you can see the carb with cover off, so, you can loosen the intake bootie behind carb ( allen head clamps bolts on clamps) and take off air box or loosen to get carb to turn sideways. there are 4 screws on bottom of bowl ( they are tough to loosen) also you will remove the two little wires on the heater on the bowl

when removed, you will see little brass jets in there
they have a pin hole with a cross slot in them. remove, clean with carb cleaner and replace. when removed you should be able to see through them. this is how you know they are clean.

this is not too hard, once you see it. the screws are the worst part.

Rog

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Thumbs up Follow-up

I just wanted to let everyone know the issue is resolved.

My neighbor stopped by to see how I was doing with the Rhino. He told me to start her up, and when she was cranking fruitlessly he put his hand over the air intake and, bingo bango, she was running; took his hand away and she started to die. He suggested putting a bit of Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas and run her awhile... and man she's purring like a kitten now!

Thanks for the suggestions and help I got from you all. I sure learned a lot from this fiasco... but my husband is going to expect me to do all the maintenance now!

Karen
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know the issue is resolved.

My neighbor stopped by to see how I was doing with the Rhino. He told me to start her up, and when she was cranking fruitlessly he put his hand over the air intake and, bingo bango, she was running; took his hand away and she started to die. He suggested putting a bit of Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas and run her awhile... and man she's purring like a kitten now!

Thanks for the suggestions and help I got from you all. I sure learned a lot from this fiasco... but my husband is going to expect me to do all the maintenance now!

Karen
if your doing the maintenance, then he should ride in the pass seat! it is only fair! hahahahaha

glad it is running well now.

Rog

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Are you kidding? This in MY Rhino. I put him in the pass seat a long time ago. :-)

Karen
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Founding Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen View Post
Are you kidding? This in MY Rhino. I put him in the pass seat a long time ago. :-)

Karen
hahahahahahahahhahaha, good for you

Rog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement