overheating problems - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

overheating problems

I resently inherited an overheating problem. I have checked to see if the fan works and it does. I removed the electrical connection on the rad and placed a wire between the two leads; the fan motor starts. When the engine is running and I take the rad cap off, I see no fluid movement what ever in the rad. Is there a thermostat on the 2007 660 Rhino pre EFI unit? If so where would they hid it. I thought that it would be on the drivers side where the thermostat housing goes into the engine but when I removed it there was nothing there. I bought this unit new so no one removed it ? full of questions and looking for advice . If you have run across this before please advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Wide F'n Open

NO t-stat on the 660's

try the water pump?

are u going by the dummy light or do u have a gauge ?

2007 660 SE - DUAL MUZZY - K&N SET UP - INNOVATE WIDEBAND TUNED - RUGGED RACE RADIO - GEAR ONE RACK -

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

http://www.unleashedutv.com/

http://traillogicllc.com/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
RhinoTalk.net Site Sponsor

have you tried bleeding heair out of the system? I would try that first

2007 3 seater razor eater
H-Town Performance for all your custom cage/bumper applications 702-564-7306
Mr. RPM BBK
Rigid E-Series
H-Town cage & bumper
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Founding Ninja

the water pump is bad maybe, some have had the stem ear break off and hence no water flow. also, the oil drive chain also drives the water pump.

it is under the pass side engine fan. it has an o-ring so you can remove, oil will come pouring out so drain first.

Rog

Benchmark Performance 686, 67.6 RWHP
http://www.unleashedutv.com/ 602-246-4011
Rigid Industries 480.655.0100
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Wide F'n Open

move the oil cooler out of the way of the radiator while ur at it, put it up under the hood

2007 660 SE - DUAL MUZZY - K&N SET UP - INNOVATE WIDEBAND TUNED - RUGGED RACE RADIO - GEAR ONE RACK -

http://performancetruckproducts.com/

http://www.unleashedutv.com/

http://traillogicllc.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Wreckin' Shop

Whats indicating you overheated? Temp Light? Gauge? At idle the water pump doesnt move much water. And if the engine is vapor locked it will not move water either.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

Juggstalk.net.....because we dont sell phone no MO!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

after about 10 minutes more or less steam starts rising off the radiator. I tested the fan and it works. Found that the dealership doesnt know anything as they told me there was a thermostat in the D$%^ thing. So now I am down to 2 items , either the thermo switch or the water pump but my money is on the thermo switch. Just need to figure out hoew to test it with out pulling it out of the rad. Any ideas. Same for the ewater pump how does one test that?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 AM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvb View Post
after about 10 minutes more or less steam starts rising off the radiator. I tested the fan and it works. Found that the dealership doesnt know anything as they told me there was a thermostat in the D$%^ thing. So now I am down to 2 items , either the thermo switch or the water pump but my money is on the thermo switch. Just need to figure out hoew to test it with out pulling it out of the rad. Any ideas. Same for the ewater pump how does one test that?
This does not sound right to me...normally if they are hot they will be hot at the motor...not the radiator. I have seen them overheat and you can put you hand on the radiator. If its doing what you say the water is definatly circulating. Do you have a temp gauge? without one you are shooting in the dark.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

BOOYAA

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

no gauge only the idiot lights on the dash. When I originally stated that I had no water movement . That is what it appears like at the rad filler point. I was/am under the impression one should see the same type of movement as you would with a automotive system with a thermostat. I removed the thermostat housing earlier only to find no thermostat. I starting the engine and cracked the bleed valve on the thermostat housing until antifreeze seeped out the fitting. Still lost and looking for a solution . If I were to insert a gauge would it be better at the engine side or rad or would it really matter?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Wreckin' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlvb View Post
no gauge only the idiot lights on the dash. When I originally stated that I had no water movement . That is what it appears like at the rad filler point. I was/am under the impression one should see the same type of movement as you would with a automotive system with a thermostat. I removed the thermostat housing earlier only to find no thermostat. I starting the engine and cracked the bleed valve on the thermostat housing until antifreeze seeped out the fitting. Still lost and looking for a solution . If I were to insert a gauge would it be better at the engine side or rad or would it really matter?
Has your idiot light ever came on while riding? If so there is a good possibility that you have a blown head gasket. It will bleed pressure into the coolant system and creat a vapor lock at the head/thermostat housing area.

The water pump runs of the oil pump shaft that is chain driven...it doesnt move much water until the engine revs.

My personal prefrance is to remove the idiot light sensor and add your temp gauge in at the head. If you dont put it there I would probably but the kit utv crap sell and put it inline as close to the head as possible.

Hopefully this helps.

UTV Crap

BOOYAA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement