Front end grinding sound in 4 x 4 only - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

Front end grinding sound in 4 x 4 only

I have an 05 rhino and everything is quiet in two wheel drive but when I put it in 4 x 4 it makes a grinding noise up front. Has only 75 hours and 700 miles. I have changed the front diff. oil (the old stuff looked brand new). Changed the rear diff. oil,engine oil,and antifreeze. Took all the skid plates off and everthing looks great,no dammage. Just picked this unit up and own two 660 grizzlies and have never heard this sound on either of them. Have heard about a torque limiter on another forum, but can't find any more info on this.......any suggestions would be greatly appriciated........mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Wide F'n Open

I have this same issue but its on a brand new 2011 Rhino 700. Mine is more of a really bad vibration than a grinding, it does it when its at a dead stop too, so mine isn't the front diff I don't think, but it also only occurs when in 4WD.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
I have this same issue but its on a brand new 2011 Rhino 700. Mine is more of a really bad vibration than a grinding, it does it when its at a dead stop too, so mine isn't the front diff I don't think, but it also only occurs when in 4WD.
I also have this issue.
It is a bad vibration sound coming from the front end, only in 4x4 mode & at low RPM, when I start to rev the motor the sound goes away. i haven't figured out were it is acually coming from. It has been doing this for 2+ yrs on my 07. I have check everything w/ out any luck. the car runs fine, just a bad sound sometimes. MAYBE THE FRONT SKID PLATE????
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf345 View Post
I also have this issue.
It is a bad vibration sound coming from the front end, only in 4x4 mode & at low RPM, when I start to rev the motor the sound goes away. i haven't figured out were it is acually coming from. It has been doing this for 2+ yrs on my 07. I have check everything w/ out any luck. the car runs fine, just a bad sound sometimes. MAYBE THE FRONT SKID PLATE????
I now have 450 miles on my 2011 Rhino and the vibration is still there when in 4WD regardless of which mode 4WD/4WD Diff Lock it makes the vibration doesn't do it in 2WD. I notice it at low speed too. I think I will call the dealer this week and find out what they think the problem might be.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Wide F'n Open

Sorry for the delay in the reply I posted the same issue on another Rhino Forum, here's a link to the answers for you. Hope this help you out as it did me.

Front end Vibration in 4WD Only - SXS411.COM - #1 SXS/UTV Informational Forum
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:24 PM
3/4 Throttle

Garage
rhino vibrations

the torque limiter has nothing to do with the vibrations you guys are heading in 4x4.. Here is whats going on

weather its a 660 or 700 its a big bore single cylinder that is rubber mounted in the frame... the front drive is HARD mounted in the frame.. now you add a 3 foot drive shaft and at low speeds (certain rpms) the engine will have more vibrations leading to what your feeling..with the engine vibrating in the frame its sending those reverberations down the drive shaft into the frame on the front end..

i have worked on several 1000 rhinos and everyone will do the same thing!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender.chris5908 View Post
the torque limiter has nothing to do with the vibrations you guys are heading in 4x4.. Here is whats going on

weather its a 660 or 700 its a big bore single cylinder that is rubber mounted in the frame... the front drive is HARD mounted in the frame.. now you add a 3 foot drive shaft and at low speeds (certain rpms) the engine will have more vibrations leading to what your feeling..with the engine vibrating in the frame its sending those reverberations down the drive shaft into the frame on the front end..

i have worked on several 1000 rhinos and everyone will do the same thing!

If that's the case why doesn't it do it all the time then? All the 4WD components (i.e. front drive shaft, differential, axles) are all still spinning in 2WD mode. This is what gets me. The dealer told me it was due to the long driveshaft up front and the torque limiter, but if that's the case too it would vibrate constantly regardless of being in 4WD or not. I guess as long as its not going to cause any damage to anything its ok, but its just kind of an odd sound you don't want to unknowingly be hearing on a brand new machine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 06:34 AM
3/4 Throttle

Garage
when the 4wheel is disengaged there is no resistance threw the front diff.. and you only will get the vibration at lower rpms.. like i said earlier at lower rpms you have that 4" piston flopping around in there... hence the faster the rpms the smoother it gets and the less you will hear the vibrations if any..

here is one for you.. take the drive shaft cover off..With the rhino in neutral grab the front drive shaft and slowly rev it up...I bet it will go away..when you let go it comes back!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:
when the 4wheel is disengaged there is no resistance threw the front diff.. and you only will get the vibration at lower rpms.. like i said earlier at lower rpms you have that 4" piston flopping around in there... hence the faster the rpms the smoother it gets and the less you will hear the vibrations if any..

here is one for you.. take the drive shaft cover off..With the rhino in neutral grab the front drive shaft and slowly rev it up...I bet it will go away..when you let go it comes back!
Wow, that's completely weird. I would think that it would do it all the time even in 2WD since all the 4WD components still are connected even in 2WD.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Wide F'n Open

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the schooling Bender, mystery solved.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement