New Rhino 450 - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

New Rhino 450

I just got a Rhino 450 and it is awesome. I have a question that has probably been beat to death but I can't find quite what I'm looking for on search. There are a lot of ideas about breaking in a new motor. I was wondering if anyone has actually hurt a new motor by driving hard for short periods of time? Just putting around at half throttle seems like it would be as hard on it as anything other than having the pedal flat on the floor for the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM
1/4 Throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamallard View Post
I just got a Rhino 450 and it is awesome. I have a question that has probably been beat to death but I can't find quite what I'm looking for on search. There are a lot of ideas about breaking in a new motor. I was wondering if anyone has actually hurt a new motor by driving hard for short periods of time? Just putting around at half throttle seems like it would be as hard on it as anything other than having the pedal flat on the floor for the whole time.
Congrats on the Rhino!! They sure are a great machine for work and play. You said it yourself, "there are alot of ideas and opinions about breaking in a new machine". I personally tend to break them in exactly as I'm going to be driving most of the time, which is a variety of speeds on all different types of terrain. The only features I'm cautious with are the 4-wheel drive and differential lock. I tend to use these on and off a few times at slower speeds for 15 - 20 minutes a shot. This system has worked great for me over many years and many, many new machines. Others like to follow the owners manual suggestions, and that's fine to. Everyone has their own preference. Another thing I do is to have all the fluids drained and replaced after the first 400 - 500 miles. Hope this helps you out. Take care and enjoy that new Rhino!! - SpitzoMT

2009 Yamaha Rhino 700 FI
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 PM
1/4 Throttle

Really a very very congratulations on your new ride buddy.... may your ride be safe and a clean one!!!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
1/4 Throttle

We got her muddy yesterday. It was 50 degrees all night and the snow melted making everywhere a muddy mess. Haven't found anywhere the Rhino won't go yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement