Top Motocross Stars Compete in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Glen Helen - Yamaha Rhino Forums - Yamaha UTV Forum
Yamaha Rhino General Discussions General discussions pertaining to the Yamaha Rhino.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
3/4 Throttle

Top Motocross Stars Compete in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Glen Helen

Top Motocross Stars Compete in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series Glen Helen

Corona, Calif. (July 15, 2011) Ė Auto racing of any sort isnít the cheapest sport you can take part in, but in the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series it can be as inexpensive as possible for a sport so involved in the SuperLite class. The SuperLite class is a short-course truck class that allows teams or individuals to essentially rent the equipment for the weekend, and since itís a spec class, it puts the results into the driversí hands.

For the upcoming August 6th and 7th rounds of the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series event at Glen Helen, motocross stars Nick Wey and Ricky Dietrich will be taking part in the SuperLite class with support from their motocross team and sponsors, which wouldnít be possible without the ability to step right into competitive spec equipment.

ďTwitch won the SuperLites last year, so how hard can it be?!Ē joked Nick Wey after his first-ever day in a SuperLite truck. ďIím just kidding. Iíve driven one day, and I made a lot of improvements, but there are some pretty good dudes in the class...Ē

ďIt definitely has the jumping, but the truck and all that isnít what Iím used to, so thatís different,Ē Wey says of how it compares to MX. ďAs far as it being really athletic where youíre going to break a sweat or lose your breath, itís not like that, and you donít need balance or anything, but outside of that it takes a lot of skill. I think motocross and supercross are on a whole other level. But itís going to be a challenge.Ē

Wey will race only on Saturday at Glen Helen, as prior commitments with an appearance for sponsor Tucker Rocky will take him to Texas on Sunday.

ďIíve seen it a lot on TV,Ē Wey said. ďItís one thing to go fast, but some guys make crazy bonehead moves when it comes to racing, and Iíd really rather not roll this thing over, so if someone takes me out, Iím going to be really bummed...Ē

His Valli Motorsports Yamaha teammate Ricky Dietrich will compete both days at Glen Helen.

ďMy team owner, Chad Lanza, went to one of the rounds, and he found out about this class where we could just basically rent trucks, and itís a good way to get the word out about our team a bit, and promote our sponsors,Ē Dietrich said, ďand at the same time Nick and I get to go out there and have a damned good time racing trucks! Itís going to be so much fun. Itís pretty much everything I ever wanted to do in my own truck, but I get to do it in a truck that can handle it. It should be really fun.Ē

Dietrich has high hopes.

ďWe spent all day yesterday doing a practice day to kind of feel it out,Ē Dietrich said. ďA practice day is required so you donít go out there all out of control. But after just a few laps, I just turned it loose, and it was so much fun. Iíve never done anything like that before. Itís unreal. Iím a competitive person, so obviously I want to win, but I donít have much experience obviously. Weíll see how it goes. Iíll use my moto skills and hopefully it goes well.Ē

With two more professional racers in the mix for the Glen Helen rounds, things should be very interesting in the SuperLite class.

About the Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series:
The Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series is the evolution of the long standing support of short course racing by Forrest Lucas and Lucas Oil Products. Steeped in the Midwest tradition of short course off road racing infused with a West Coast influence, Lucas Oil Off Road Racing brings intense four wheel door to door action to challenging, fan friendly tracks. Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series: This is Short Course. For more information please visit Lucas Oil Off Road Racing Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 AM
1/4 Throttle

so long thread. thanks for your sharing. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement